[CLOSED] Something is wrong with Ohmsign-grek..

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
RickDe

[CLOSED] Something is wrong with Ohmsign-grek..

Post by RickDe »

I'm having issues with some fonts when trying to copy characters from a regular it's Italic version in order to fix issues. My process is fix them in the regular, and then using the transformer to create the italic version.

Overall I'm having issues copying about 200 characters at a time and I think I've tracked my issue to Ohmsign-grek. If the font has this glyph it breaks the copy always at this character.

Also If I try and insert just this glyph, it will not add it. Saying "All of the glyph names allready exist in the font". I checked and they don't.

Even if i delete all glyphs in the font it still won't let me insert Ohmsign-grek

On a font with Ohmsign-grek, it will auto complete to 8486. If i remove the name it will auto complete the name from 8486.
RickDe

Re: Something is wrong with Ohmsign-grek..

Post by RickDe »

I should also say that i've noticed that Multi-Mapped characters do not copy. I didn't mention this as I'm not sure if Multi-Mapped characters are valid.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Multi-mapped glyphs are certainly valid, and will save a few bytes in the size of the font, but you could also use composites instead. I do whenever I can to save space and reduce the work of editing glyphs. I rarely use multi-mapped glyphs.
Letterlike Symbols.png
Letterlike Symbols.png (21.69 KiB) Viewed 4933 times
Generate glyphnames from the Tools menu to make sure that your glyphs are correctly named.

Omega-grek is not the same as Letterlike Symbol Ohm-grek. Though the glyphs may often be identical, they can be different.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
RickDe

Post by RickDe »

On a new font, File->New this issue exists.

via Insert->Glyphs paste in, Ohmsign-grek. Hit validate it will say that it is in the font, but it is not. Without validate it just does nothing when inserting, no character added.

via Insert->Characters, goto code point 8486, double click to add the character, hit ok. See that it added 8486 as "Ohmsign-grek"

Can you confirm this is a bug?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I remember now what the problem is. Any glyphname containing a hyphen requires quotes around it.
Ohm-grek.png
Ohm-grek.png (12.05 KiB) Viewed 4921 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
RickDe

Post by RickDe »

Ok Bhikkhu, I think it's a bug :D or as we developers call them. "Unintended features".

Copy Glyph should probably add quotes to the glyph name, or maybe validate could add the quotes to all names during the validation.

Out of curiosity why would a hyphen be special?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

RickDe wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:56 pmOut of curiosity why would a hyphen be special?
The hyphen can be used to define ranges, e.g. a-z, or 8486-8490.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Just uncheck "Ranges" and it should accept glyph names that contain a hyphen.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
RickDe

Post by RickDe »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:20 pm Just uncheck "Ranges" and it should accept glyph names that contain a hyphen.
Wow... such a simple solution! I did not even see that checkbox.