[CLOSED] Arabic punctuation Mark to ligature are embedding extra spaces

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
Aslam

[CLOSED] Arabic punctuation Mark to ligature are embedding extra spaces

Post by Aslam »

Hello everyone. I am facing problem in identifying the problem of extra spacing. Single and multiple punctuation mark is transforming correctly in open type designer preview. Furthermore, proofing tool also shows correct sequencing of executing of rules as shown in below screenshot.
p1.jpg
p1.jpg (80.34 KiB) Viewed 2968 times
p2.jpg
p2.jpg (54.54 KiB) Viewed 2968 times
As shown above punctuation marks are being converted accurately and feature proofing is also showing the conversion correctly. Please not there is no additional space between characters before and after punctuation marks.
When I test the same in Test Font the result is entirely different.
p3.jpg
p3.jpg (45.22 KiB) Viewed 2968 times
I am unable to identify what went wrong. Either it is FontCreator bug or there is problem is sequencing. Any help is highly appreciated.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Arabic punctuation Mark to ligature are embedding extra spaces

Post by Erwin Denissen »

It could be an issue on our side, but we can only know for sure if we can reproduce the issue.

Can you send us the font along with some sample text for us to inspect?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Aslam

Post by Aslam »

i have sent the font and sample text in support ticket. hope it can by of any help.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I have received the font project and a sample text.

The Windows shaping engine will usually show a dotted circle when it detects invalid combining marks. Your font does not contain this dotted circle ($25CC) and then it shows the .notdef glyph. In your font it is empty, so you see white space.

In Arial you see the dotted circles:
WordTest.png
WordTest.png (75.63 KiB) Viewed 2944 times
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Aslam

Post by Aslam »

Thank you for quick response. I set the .notdef char to zero space and problem solved. But I have a question. You see that I have converted marks into a ligature in ccmp feature as shown above. When marks are converted into ligature then there is no reason to show it as .notdef char. This conversion of marks into ccmp is not being handled in Arial font. However my font support this. So I think rule engine is not handling combining marks.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I don't think it is wise to set the advance width of .notdef to zero. Maybe add an empty dotted circle and set its advance width to zero. Even that is not really how it should be, but .notdef is also used to show other missing characters in your font.

The shaping engine used in Word seems too strict or even outdated, but you can not solve the problem with an OpenType layout feature, as the check for invalid combining marks is done prior to processing the features.

This is how the improved shaping engine shows your text in FontCreator 14:
PreviewFC14.png
PreviewFC14.png (248.55 KiB) Viewed 2922 times
It is exactly the same as what Firefox shows. Edge has a little less spacing at one part:
PreviewEdge.png
PreviewEdge.png (304.38 KiB) Viewed 2916 times
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology