[FIXED] [FC14] Snap to Grid doesn't work

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
miracle_hoshi

[FIXED] [FC14] Snap to Grid doesn't work

Post by miracle_hoshi »

I bought this program to create pixel fonts like the one above. In particular, I mainly work with CJK font. The amount of work required to create a single font is considerable.
I received an FC14 update email a while ago and upgraded it, but it was confirmed that snap did not work at all when drawing a rectangle.

This is a fatal problem for me, as I have to draw countless squares. It's not even listed in the manual, what should I do? Currently downgraded to FC13 temporarily.

Check out this GIF file. These were shot on FC14 and FC13 respectively. But it stopped working because FC14 project file could not be opened in FC13.

FC13

FC14

Also, the distance the snap is applied is too short. It doesn't snap, so I have to edit it several times.
Can you add an option to adjust the snap distance?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: [FC14] Snap to Grid doesn't work

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Snapping works fine when resizing or moving a rectangle, just not when drawing one.
You could export your font and open the TTF in FontCreator 13, but there is a much more efficient method for creating pixel fonts than drawing each square or rectangle.
  • Draw one square and resize it to the precise dimensions by snapping
  • Hold down the Ctrl key to duplicate it while dragging it into position
  • Repeat
  • Drag + Copy a group of squares/rectangles
  • Flip the group to mirror them
Pixel Font.png
Pixel Font.png (5.43 KiB) Viewed 3177 times
I would like to have sound effect to know when snapping is successful. Ten pixels should be enough rather than what it is now, but a setting that users can adjust would be ideal.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
miracle_hoshi

Post by miracle_hoshi »

I agree about drawing and copying the rectangle.

Hangeul has 19 initial consonants, 21 consonants, and 28 final consonants, for a total of 11172. (19*21*28)

The combination of 11172 can be solved by copying over several days, but it must be done manually when creating the base shape for each phoneme.

In this case, not snapping to the grid when drawing shapes is a fatal problem for me!

I just hope this gets resolved.
Last edited by miracle_hoshi on Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

miracle_hoshi wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:15 am I just hope this gets resolved.
We have implemented this functionality in this update:

FontCreator 14.0.0.2806 (64-bit)

Let us know your results.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:49 amLet us know your results.
That works like a charm.

I was going to suggest that it would be useful for the rectangle and ellipse tools to be “sticky” if selected while holding shift. Then one could draw multiple rectangles or multiple ellipses without reselecting the tool each time.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I think all control keys are occupied, but it can remain active if that is preferred.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:57 am I think all control keys are occupied, but it can remain active if that is preferred.
Control keys? How are modifier keys occupied when selecting tools? Do you mean while drawing? I meant when selecting the tools.

Changing the current default behaviour is rarely a good idea unless there is a strong case for changing it. Enhancing it with a modifier key or a checkbox in Options would please most users without affecting those who don't want to use it.

I believe that you have Serif PagePlus. See how it works there if holding down shift while select a quick shape.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We'll see if more people want improvements or changes here. There are other more important things on the to-do list.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
miracle_hoshi

Post by miracle_hoshi »

It's just perfect. I can now continue my work. Thank you!!