[CLOSED] “Grid index out of range” when inserting characters

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
Typewhisperer

[CLOSED] “Grid index out of range” when inserting characters

Post by Typewhisperer »

Disclaimer first: I couldnʼt find related posts anywhere, so I decided to post it as a bug.

Ever since I installed version 13.0, I get a “Grid index out of range” error when trying to insert a new character. This doesnʼt happen when adding glyphs. However, adding glyphs is inconvenient since theyʼre not associated with a code point; youʼll have to assign those by hand, one by one.

Admittedly, the font it first happened with contains a large number of glyphs, 52,905 to be exact. (Donʼt faint; itʼs meant to be a Unicode font. Those tend to be — very — large [cf· Bitstream Cyberbit: 29,934 glyphs]). But the bug, if it is one, occurs also with small fonts; indeed even with a newly created font with exactly two glyphs!

I find it strange that nobody else reported this odd behavior. But since itʼs been “bugging” me for over a year now, I hope to get answers and/or solutions on this forum. Thx in advance!
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: “Grid index out of range” when inserting characters

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Code-points are added if glyphs are insert by name, using valid glyph names.

How are you inserting these characters, and what code-points are you giving them? Are code-points listed as Hex or Decimal?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Typewhisperer

Post by Typewhisperer »

Hi Bhikkhu, always the Man of the Hour!

Iʼm glad itʼs you who answered, you seem to be the most well‐versed FontCreator user around, maybe except the “Big Man Himself”, Erwin.

The point is that my copy of FontCreator wonʼt even let me get that far; the error appears immediately after clicking the menu item “Insert new characters”.

[Was trying to insert screen shot but didnʼt work.]

That means, I never get to see the dialog box where you can choose characters from a long Unicode list.

Iʼve tried this with all kinds of fonts, my own and downloaded ones, with installed fonts and with fcp fonts. Same result.

For the record, I work exclusively with hexadecimal notation, donʼt even know any code points by their decimal values. Usual procedure: open dialog box, select the blocks I want to insert either from the scroll list or by spelling out the first and last characters of the respective range. Used to work like a charm; alas, no longer.

Any hints or tips will be greatly appreciated as I need to delete vast swathes of code points and shift them to other ones.
Typewhisperer

Post by Typewhisperer »

Intermediate research result (short of calling off the alert):
The error seems to be caused by an error in the database. Iʼm still trying to pin down which of the files is the culprit, but I think I can narrow it down to “Blocks.txt” and “Glyphnamesnew.dat”. The way things usually happen, my money is on a missing semicolon!