[CLOSED] annoying details

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
NinnaD

[CLOSED] annoying details

Post by NinnaD »

1. upon opening glyph view, the partially transparent blue rectangles on the toolbar get a second partially transparent blue layer - if you open & close a few times that accumulates to darker & darker shade - even though contour mode or selection aren't active in the main view and shouldn't be highlighted at all:
toolbar.png
toolbar.png (34.07 KiB) Viewed 2965 times
2. in OT designer, when creating a feature (mkmk in this example), if I accidentally right-click on the still empty pane, I get an error - I'd expect this to be silent or to get the same menu as on right-click on a non-empty pane (but with Edit Class & Delete inactive)
rightclick.png
rightclick.png (10.36 KiB) Viewed 2965 times
3. when adding anchors, one has to shift focus, e.g. away from the anchor pane and back or to the anchor pane and away, before the anchor list view updates (though not when deleting an anchor)
Erwin Denissen

Re: annoying details

Post by Erwin Denissen »

NinnaD wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:31 pm 1. upon opening glyph view, the partially transparent blue rectangles on the toolbar get a second partially transparent blue layer - if you open & close a few times that accumulates to darker & darker shade - even though contour mode or selection aren't active in the main view and shouldn't be highlighted at all:
toolbar.png
It seems only the Drawings toolbar is affected, but I don't know how to fix it (yet). Here the issue is slightly different, as the disabled toolbar buttons show enabled, but turn into disabled when you hover the mouse over them.
NinnaD wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:31 pm 2. in OT designer, when creating a feature (mkmk in this example), if I accidentally right-click on the still empty pane, I get an error - I'd expect this to be silent or to get the same menu as on right-click on a non-empty pane (but with Edit Class & Delete inactive)
rightclick.png
Thanks for letting me know; it will be fixed with the next upcoming update.
NinnaD wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:31 pm 3. when adding anchors, one has to shift focus, e.g. away from the anchor pane and back or to the anchor pane and away, before the anchor list view updates (though not when deleting an anchor)
This will also be fixed with the next update.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:33 pm
NinnaD wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:31 pm 1. upon opening glyph view, the partially transparent blue rectangles on the toolbar get a second partially transparent blue layer - if you open & close a few times that accumulates to darker & darker shade - even though contour mode or selection aren't active in the main view and shouldn't be highlighted at all:
toolbar.png
It seems only the Drawings toolbar is affected, but I don't know how to fix it (yet). Here the issue is slightly different, as the disabled toolbar buttons show enabled, but turn into disabled when you hover the mouse over them.
This will also be fixed with the next update.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
NinnaD

Post by NinnaD »

Grand, thanks.
NinnaD

Post by NinnaD »

Continued...

4. GlyphCompositionDecomposition > ChainingContext: if more than 1 class is on the list, right-click > Edit Class opens the wrong one (Backtrack highlighted != opened class)
wrong_class_1.png
wrong_class_1.png (84.35 KiB) Viewed 2935 times
wrong_class_2.png
wrong_class_2.png (86.65 KiB) Viewed 2935 times
5. OT Layout Feature Proofing: match index doesn't match the rule index, possibly the former equals sth like a record PrimaryKey, whereas the latter is a user-edited rule order (and 7 vs. 9 doesn't match even using a zero-based counter)
index_rules.png
index_rules.png (62 KiB) Viewed 2935 times
NinnaD

Post by NinnaD »

6. In OT designer: if FC Help is opened from the main view, then some popup is opened (e.g. "Select Glyph or Class" or "Class Manager"), focus remains on the popup and mouse doesn't work in Help. Once the popup is closed, all's back to normal.
NinnaD

Post by NinnaD »

7. OT > Substitution Tables: + Select Lookup Table doesn't allow the addition of a second instance of the same lookup (say one for input 0 and one for input 1), but Code Editor does:
2nd_ref_instance_1.png
2nd_ref_instance_1.png (46.14 KiB) Viewed 2927 times
2nd_ref_instance_2.png
2nd_ref_instance_2.png (30.04 KiB) Viewed 2927 times
I'm not sure if the latter will mess things up or not.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

NinnaD wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:44 am 4. GlyphCompositionDecomposition > ChainingContext: if more than 1 class is on the list, right-click > Edit Class opens the wrong one (Backtrack highlighted != opened class)
This will be fixed as well.
NinnaD wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:44 am 5. OT Layout Feature Proofing: match index doesn't match the rule index, possibly the former equals sth like a record PrimaryKey, whereas the latter is a user-edited rule order (and 7 vs. 9 doesn't match even using a zero-based counter)
index_rules.png
Well, index refers to the index in the list of glyphs.

If you want to see more info, uncheck the "Compact" option.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

NinnaD wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:02 am 6. In OT designer: if FC Help is opened from the main view, then some popup is opened (e.g. "Select Glyph or Class" or "Class Manager"), focus remains on the popup and mouse doesn't work in Help. Once the popup is closed, all's back to normal.
I think I have found a fix for this as well.
NinnaD wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:35 pm 7. OT > Substitution Tables: + Select Lookup Table doesn't allow the addition of a second instance of the same lookup (say one for input 0 and one for input 1), but Code Editor does:
This will also be fixed. Again thank you for reporting these issues. Valuable feedback like yours allows us to make better software.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
NinnaD

Post by NinnaD »

Well, index refers to the index in the list of glyphs.
Well, that explains my confusion - but I'm used to the condition :D Sorry, bad bad me seeing bug everywhere.

On that note, if I close the feature proofing with Compact deselected, then open it again, I first see this:
proofing_1.png
proofing_1.png (42.34 KiB) Viewed 2917 times
so Compact deselected - but active, then, upon clicking Compact again, I see this:
proofing_2.png
proofing_2.png (56.87 KiB) Viewed 2917 times
so Compact selected - but inactive, then, upon clicking Compact yet again, I see this:
proofing_3.png
proofing_3.png (52.41 KiB) Viewed 2917 times
co Compact deselected and inactive, but displaying the rule numbers.

I was trying to get the info about which particular rule was involved in which case, but never managed to hit the right combination of clicking Compact and closing/opening the feature proofing. So is this a bug or am I confused again? I'm getting different results almost each time I close & open the window, but usually what I see is either many rules with rule numbers, or many rules without rule numbers, but rarely just the one rule with a rule number. Sorry :(
NinnaD

Post by NinnaD »

8. From time to time (but I don't have a save to demonstrate) when I copy&paste rule(s) in Chaining Context Substitution (don't know about CCPos), all rules except the first one disappear from the dropdown combobox, though they're still there in the Code Editor.

9. I don't know whether it's by design or accident, but the preview in OT designer isn't scrollable and the textbox below it doesn't allow the user to move beyond the visible text, e.g. to the end of the text (or the caret moves, but the view doesn't).
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We will look into the Compat issue later.
NinnaD wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:12 am 8. From time to time (but I don't have a save to demonstrate) when I copy&paste rule(s) in Chaining Context Substitution (don't know about CCPos), all rules except the first one disappear from the dropdown combobox, though they're still there in the Code Editor.
There are most likely divided into separate subtables.
NinnaD wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:12 am 9. I don't know whether it's by design or accident, but the preview in OT designer isn't scrollable and the textbox below it doesn't allow the user to move beyond the visible text, e.g. to the end of the text (or the caret moves, but the view doesn't).
It was by design, as we first wanted to make sure it worked without flaws in the Preview panel. Then other things became more important. I will see if we can add it with an upcoming update.

9.b I know this is kind of annoying, but I haven't found a solution yet. Will take another look.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
NinnaD

Post by NinnaD »

Splendid, thank you.
NinnaD

Post by NinnaD »

9.b I know this is kind of annoying, but I haven't found a solution yet. Will take another look.
I don't know whether it's by design or not, but what I find 10x more annoying is that when I click the textbox above the preview, where preview text is entered, the entire contents gets selected and the view shifts to the end of the text. I often want to add a single item to that text, usually at the beginning of the line, since I can then view the result immediately, without scrolling down. This means I need to deselect preview text, move the caret back to the beginning, and locate (again) the place where I want to make the addition. It's also completely counter-intuitive - I think we're used to clicking a specific spot in text and seeing the caret appear where we've just clicked.

If, on receiving focus, the textbox wouldn't select the entire text, that's easily amended by CTRL+a, which I think most of us working with text are also familiar with.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

NinnaD wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:56 pm I don't know whether it's by design or not, but what I find 10x more annoying is that when I click the textbox above the preview, where preview text is entered, the entire contents gets selected and the view shifts to the end of the text. I often want to add a single item to that text, usually at the beginning of the line, since I can then view the result immediately, without scrolling down. This means I need to deselect preview text, move the caret back to the beginning, and locate (again) the place where I want to make the addition. It's also completely counter-intuitive - I think we're used to clicking a specific spot in text and seeing the caret appear where we've just clicked.

If, on receiving focus, the textbox wouldn't select the entire text, that's easily amended by CTRL+a, which I think most of us working with text are also familiar with.
You can use the Home key to unselect text and move the cursor to the beginning.

The next release will no longer select all text, but will move the cursor to the beginning. Ideally I would like it to stay at the position where you click with the mouse, but for some mysterious reason we can't find a solution for that with combo boxes.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology