Test graphic

Have questions about High-Logic.com, or maybe you have an issue with the site?
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Test graphic

Post by William »

I have found it a bit of a guess as to what is the best size for a graphic that is intended to be read as part of a post in this forum.

So, I have made a test graphic to try to find out.

I used the Paint program to make the graphic as Paint is available to many people who use a computer that is running using a Windows system.

I started the graphic as 600 pixels by 600 pixels and added the digits that are in the lower right part of the image. I then trimmed to 512 pixels by 512 pixels. The origin point of the digits is not any special point. I just needed digits in the lower right part of the image.

I usually have the computer set to an 800 pixels by 600 pixels display.

So here is the graphic, added so that how it can be viewed at various screen resolutions both with and without clicking on it to make it show better.
test_graphic.png
test_graphic.png
test_graphic.png (8.17 KiB) Viewed 12999 times
Clicking on an image is good to make it full size when needed, but it does not, in my opinion, make for an easily read page when only a smaller image is adequate for the display needed.

William Overington

16 February 2013
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Test graphic

Post by William »

Assessing the experiment in the above post and thinking about it, I thought that a useful size for a graphic might be 512 pixels in width and 288 pixels in height. This would have the 16 to 9 aspect ratio of wide-screen television and be a convenient size for including in posts in this forum in appropriate circumstances.

Here is a sample graphic that I have made, using the Paint program. The font used is Goudita SF.
sample_graphic_512_by_288.png
sample_graphic_512_by_288.png (12.63 KiB) Viewed 12989 times
Another useful size might be 512 pixels in width and 512 pixels in height. As far as I know at present that size would display with a scrollbar down the side and the image would need clicking at display time in order for it to become displayed full size. Does anyone know if there is any way that I can make a 512 pixel by 512 pixel image display full size straight away without it needing to be clicked please?

William Overington

16 February 2013
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

No the forum has several settings that can't be easily adjusted. We try to keep maintenance as low as possible, so unless a future version of the forum includes such settings, we are no bound by the current ones.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You could use Scalable Vector Graphics. Export from DrawPlus Starter Edition, and upload it to your web space. Then link to it using the forum's image code. That way, the image can be fairly small — say about 600 pixels wide, but the users can zoom in as far as they wish to see fine details of the font without jaggies.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

This is true, but we prefer people to upload images through our forum, as over time numerous images are no longer available on external websites, and that makes older posts less and less useful.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology