PUA (Private Use Area) for RTL language

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
malsahwwaf

PUA (Private Use Area) for RTL language

Post by malsahwwaf »

Hello,
How can I change the direction of PUA (Private Use Area) character to RTL Direction?
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed Typos
Erwin Denissen

Re: PUA (Private Use Area) for RTL language

Post by Erwin Denissen »

You can't do that a natural way, but you can use a special character that tells the shaping engine to go RTL.

Start your text with the right-to-left override (RLO) character (code point $202E) which tells the word processing engine to process the remaining characters from right to left (RTL).

Here is the text "text shown from right to left" preceded with this special character:

‏‮text shown from right to left!

However as soon as a new line is detected this override stops and you have start with yet another right-to-left override character.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
malsahwwaf

Post by malsahwwaf »

From (unicode.org) and (scripts.sil.org) sites: we can change the bidi property of the PAU characters to control its directional behaviour.

See following urls:

http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicod ... /0613.html

https://www.unicode.org/reports/tr9/#Bi ... cter_Types

https://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/pag ... tutorial15

------------------

My FC project only contains Arabic ligatures (See attachments)

ok, if we can't change the bidi property, Is there another method without using RLO?
Attachments
FC_Project.PNG
FC_Project.PNG (112.24 KiB) Viewed 5604 times
Last edited by malsahwwaf on Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The ligatures will inherit RSB if they come from characters that are RTL, so with a correctly made Arabic font it should all work just fine and then you don't need PUA code-points at all.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
malsahwwaf

Post by malsahwwaf »

if i don't use PUA code-psoints for my ligatures (keep it without codepoints), it doesn't appear in word 2016 after exporting and installing font?

Hints:

1- iam a bigginer in designing fonts (this is the first project for me)
2- my ligatures doesn't have a standard unicode codepoints (so i used the PUA to assign a codepoints for it).
3- i use (insert > Symbol) in word 2016 to insert my ligatures as symbol (see attachments)

Attachments
insert sybmol.PNG
insert sybmol.PNG (88.06 KiB) Viewed 5587 times
Last edited by malsahwwaf on Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.