Create Bold and Italic Version

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
auspexian

Create Bold and Italic Version

Post by auspexian »

Hi all,

I was asked to create bold and italic versions of a couple of Vietnaemse Unicode fonts. Is there a simple way to do this in FC?

I played with Fontographer, it has a option to select all and make all bold,
unfortunatly it doesn't support Unicode.

Thanks.

Oh, I found how to set it to bold/italic, but not how to make all glyphs bold/italic.

4.3.8 Font Type
To change the font type (for example from Regular to Bold) you need to change a few settings:
· All font subfamily name fields in the Naming window.
· Classification Weight on the General tab in the Font Settings window.
· Panose Weight on the Classification tab in the Font Settings window.
· MacStyle fields on the Header tab in the Font Settings window.
· Font Design on the Windows tab in the Font Settings window.
Access the windows mentioned via the Format menu
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Faux Italic Fonts

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

It is fairly easy to create oblique versions of fonts in Font Creator, but as you know, these are not true italics, which would require the glyphs to be completely redesigned.

In the glyph edit window, select all contours and use the Transformation Toolbar (available from the View, Toolbars menu) to apply a horizontal skew. I find a value of -0.25 to be about right.

If the Vietnamese Unicode font (I assume it is a Latin script one) uses composites, you will only need to apply skews to the base glyphs and accents separately, then adjust the positions of all the accents. A laborious task perhaps, but certainly feasible. Sans Serif fonts might give acceptable results. I doubt if you would be happy with this method for Seriffed fonts though.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
auspexian

Post by auspexian »

Thank you, I'll try it.

John :D