Aspirations

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
Jowaco

Aspirations

Post by Jowaco »

:? Is anyone prepared to suggest a font which when opened in FCP3 will be an example to which we should aspire? I have looked at many fonts to try to glean information on such features as naming, kerning, mapping, bearings etc. etc. I do not include in the criteria the quality of typeface because this is dependent upon the purpose for which the font is intended. Surely there must be at least one font which fulfills the requirements for the different operating systems in the Windows versions in use?
Joe.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Something to Aspire to

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Have a look at this website.

http://www.sil.org/~gaultney/gentium/

The Gentium font is beautifully designed, and the Website is also a model of good design.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Jowaco

Thanks

Post by Jowaco »

:D Thanks Bhikkhu,
I googled for 'Gentium font' and found the home page at:
http://www.sil.org/~gaultney/gentium/
(I wonder if 'to google' has been added as a new verb in OED?)

What fascinating reading and even more fascinating fonts. What a tremendous amount of work Victor Gaultney did. He must have spent hundreds of hours on them and then had the magnanimity to make them freeware for the benefit of others of many nationalities. I applaud his motives.

Yes, excellent examples, and yet I am puzzled by the entry in the Naming window for Version field. Erwin Denissen maintains that a space must be left after the version number. Victor Gaultney doesn't have this space.

My poor efforts seem paltry in comparison!

Joe.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Contentment is the Greatest Wealth

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I guess if you recently completed an MA in Typeface Design at the University of Reading, England, you would know a bit more about type design.

I registered at the end of October 2002, but I'm still struggling to figure some things out. I haven't even looked at hinting, grayscale, Macintosh support, etc.

There is something wonderful about being able to afford to help others free or charge. Somehow, your good kamma always comes back to you, and people help you out when you need it most.

Keep on learning, and please let me know if you figure out how to make the line-spacing default to 12points for a 10 point font. I've asked this question on several forums inlcuding this one, but still no joy. Changing typelinegap doesn't make any difference.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486