help with vowels

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
luserlarry

help with vowels

Post by luserlarry »

OK I am making a new language and the way my vowels work is kinda like they are accents to the consonants. is there a way to do this with out making every possible coninant with each vowel? thanks for any help you can give.

*EDIT*
I was looking at some of the fonts that I already have and there are more than enough places if I have to go the long route but what keys would I press to get them on the screen?*/EDIT*
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Burmese uses vowels like accents

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

On typewriters, accents are typed with dead-keys, that don't space.

In Font Creator design your vowels so that they have a negative left side-bearing. Open any font with combining diacritical marks (accents) and you will understand how they work. Advance width for combining accents is zero.

You type a then ¨ to get ä, or c then ¸ to get ç

Also look at making composites wherever possible to avoid duplicating work.
Once you have created aeiou and ¨ you already have äëïöü. To make a composite, create an empty glyph, insert glyph and choose the base letter, then insert glyph again to insert the accent, and reposition.

PS. This question really belongs in the Support thread.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486