Glyph Too Complex

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Glyph Too Complex

Post by Dick Pape »

I just found something terribly exciting!!

It's very exasperating to work on a complicated glyph because every time you make a change FC goes back and recalcs all point positions. The more points to assess, the longer it takes between changes.

If a glyph is too complex an error message is shown on the validate report "glyph too complex", but the error coordinates are still shown.

Tonight I was working on a glyph with over 4,000 points not expecting to do too much correcting when I suddenly found I could make a change and FC wouldn't do the recalculation. I could work the Validation report by dbl clicking on the coordinates and it would zoom into the proper location, etc. I finished the whole thing is 15 minutes. Incredible.

It wasn't until I asked for a Refresh that it did it's work. Of course, the red indicators aren't on, but after awhile you can guess the type of correction to make.

So the question: is this No Refresh an action that I can turn on and off as needed? Is there a threashold at which this occurs? Why isn't it talked about?

DPape
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

The Answer

Post by Dick Pape »

No thanks to you I had to find it myself: "Enable Real-Time Glyph Validation".
I finished the 4k glyph and a 13k glyph tonight because I was not scared to start them. I tried the switch on a smaller one (1000 pts) and it helped get through it quickly too.
Nice to have such an option. Hope I remember it next time. Dick
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Sorry for the slow response. I was fast asleep between 2:10 and 3:46 am. I'll try to get up earlier tomorrow.

Check out the options on Tools, Options, Validation, where you can set the limits for real-time glyph validation. That way you can leave it on for most glyphs, but turn it off for complex glyphs.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486