Which version of FCP should I register?

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
metalfoot

Which version of FCP should I register?

Post by metalfoot »

So my wife and I have been playing around with the features and functions of FCP, and it's pretty much a given that we will get it now. TypeTool has some nicer features, but the auto-trace feature of FCP is a great feature for our purposes.

If we only intend to make and distribute free fonts, do we need the professional edition or is the home edition sufficient?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

If you intend to make a lot of fonts or large fonts, then go for the Professional Edition. It has a lot of features that automate the otherwise rather repetive task of Font Creation, such as glyph transformations, merging of contours, autokerning, etc. See my review page and the Comparison Chart

Version 5.5 will soon be upgraded to version 5.6, which has signficant improvements for both Home and Professional Users. The upgrade is free, whichever version you decide on. See the Announcements Thread You can, of course, pay for the upgrade from the Home to the Professional edition if your interest in Font Creating takes off. There is a lot more to it than meets the eye.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
metalfoot

Post by metalfoot »

OK. I've registered for the Professional Edition. Here's hoping it's worth it for us!