Glyph complement of new fonts produced using FontCreator 5.6

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Glyph complement of new fonts produced using FontCreator 5.6

Post by William »

I have been trying FontCreator 5.6 and noticed that a new font has many fewer glyphs than did a new font produced using FontCreator 5.5.

Certainly I can work around this by copying and then pasting using CTRL+E from one of my existing fonts. However, I am wondering as to why the change has been made please.

However, the ready-done glyphs are a good idea and useful.

I am wondering if it might be a good idea to have the glyph complement of a new font selectable within the dialogue panel when the new font is produced.

For example, if someone has the idea of submitting a font to Monotype there is a particular minimum glyph set that is required.

http://www.itcfonts.com/About/Submit.htm

I found that I usually added AE macron, ae macron, Y macron and y macron to the glyph complement produced in a new font produced using FontCreator 5.5. As well as a basic English alphabet I tend to implement the glyphs needed for Old English transcription, Esperanto, Welsh and Latvian.

viewtopic.php?t=1040

I also tend to add various glyphs into the Unicode Private Use Area as well, though that is another story!

William Overington

24 July 2007
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The New Font Template formerley used the WGL4 character set.

That is far more than most new users would need, so the default character set was reduced to make it easier. Inserting glyph outlines was done for similar reasons. Many new users were asking, "Why don't quotation marks show in Word?" They are now added to new fonts by default to avoid that problem.

Advanced Typographers can use the WGL4 Transform script to insert all of those characters, or they can make their own transform script to insert all of the characters that they want.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Advanced Typographers can use the WGL4 Transform script to insert all of those characters, or they can make their own transform script to insert all of the characters that they want.
Wow!

Thank you.

William