Font Creator 4.0 Build 4.0.2.136.49

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Font Creator 4.0 Build 4.0.2.136.49

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I am spending a little more time on font editing again now, but I have to refresh my memory a bit. Forgive me for asking a few silly questions.

Most of the button on the validation toolbar do not seem to work. Have they been implemented yet? I particular I would like to remove redundant points from the font I am editing, which is full of them.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Jowaco

Post by Jowaco »

Pesala,

I am using FCP 4.0.2.136.49 on Windows ME 4.90.3000 and with MS Word 2000.

Yes, the buttons on the Validation Toolbar are working fine. I can't imagine why yours are not so I'm not much help there. Simply confirming implementation.

Joe.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Validation Toolbar

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I uninstalled Font Creator, and reinstalled final release 4.0.9.133.49, but still no validation toolbar. Tried with glyph deslected, selected, and in point mode.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Because the validation can be very time-consuming, real-time glyph problem detection will be disabled for too complex glyphs. The complexity is determined through some Validation settings in the Options window.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Remove redundant points

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

After reinstalling the beta again, the validation toolbar is working.

Remove redundant points does not remove all redundant points though. I did a test on a hyphen. First a square one: just four points. I selected the top two points, and pressed "A" a couple of times to add points. Remove redundant points removed all the added points.

However, I then slanted the hyphen by moving the top two points sideways before adding points. This time, remove redundant points only removed the redundant points on the horizontal line, not on the slanting vertical line.

None of my glyphs have enough contours or points to exceed the validation limits.
vanisaac

Post by vanisaac »

Yeah, when you have "reduntant" points along an angled line, they may or may not actually be redundant. If the redundant point is not exactly along the line between the two outlying points, it is not mathematically redundant. If you zoom down and create a diagonal line that's only a dozen or so funits long and then add points in the middle, you will see how it is actually jagged and the middle points are not technically redundant.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Rounding Errors

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

So, I guess it is unavoidable. If the point should be at x = 24.4, y = 44.6, then it is going to end up at x = 24, y = 45, and the line won't be straight. Just as well computers are not as intelligent as us humans, otherwise we would be redundant. :)

Still, it would be nice if I didn't have to manually go through my fonts removing redundant points, that theoretically or mathematically are not redundant because they're not in the exact place they should be.

PS See my sig.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I'm adding diagonal validation support for redundant points. It will be optional as it could result in removing too many points. There will also be a maximum error distance available from the Options window; this value is needed to calculate the redundant points.

This feature isn't completed yet, but will be released soon.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The Font Creator Program v4.0.3 includes diagonal validation support for redundant points.

viewtopic.php?t=278
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology