Contents and Layout: Version 4 produces errors

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
kenproulx

Contents and Layout: Version 4 produces errors

Post by kenproulx »

What is the value of setting my font to Version 4? Why would I or wouldn't I select this? What conditions should be present to select Version 4? I just thought that this would be an enhancement, kind of like upgrading a piece of software to the next bug fix. Apparently, this is not the case. Pls see below.

I just upgraded from fontcreator 5.6 to 6.0. under the Format > Settings > Header > Contents and Layout setting, I tried out the new option in this version 6.0, which was "Version 4". when i ran Font Validator on the font after making this change (it had previously been set at "Version 3"), i received the following error codes under the "OS/2" heading in Font Validator:

Error code Message Details
E2132 The version number is invalid 4
E2127 The table length does not match the expected length for this version
W0051 Cannot perform test due to other errors in this table OS/2 table appears to be corrupt. No further tests will be performed.

Error code E2132 means: "The current version of the OS/2 table is Version 3. Versions zero (0, TrueType rev 1.5), one (1, TrueType rev 1.66), and two (2, OpenType rev 1.2) have been used previously."

Error code E2127 means: "This error indicates a structural problem with the font. Structural errors may be caused by: a font tool incorrectly generating the font file; a person altering the contents of a valid font file; or some other corruption to the font file. Regenerate the font, or contact the font vendor to obtain a valid version of the font."

I am using FontValidator 1.0.1286.23890 dated July 2003, which produces the error codes noted above.
Last edited by kenproulx on Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Contents and Layout: Version 4 produces errors

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The version number allows for identification of the precise contents and layout for the OS/2 table. Version 4 was introduced with OpenType specification version 1.5.

Although OpenType specification version 1.5 has been released in May 2008, most utilities have not been upgraded to this version. I suspect your version of FontValidator is outdated, and doesn't know about this new version. I have FontValidator 1.0.1286.23890 dated July 2003.

If you want to be an early adapter, then you could go ahead and upgrade your font to version 4. Most users will be fine with version 3 or lower.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Re: Contents and Layout: Version 4 produces errors

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I just downloaded and installed the latest version of Microsoft FontValidator (turned out to be same version 1.0.1286.23890 dated July 2003, as I used for years). During the install it shows a license agreement with this relevant part:
1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Microsoft grants you the following rights provided that you comply with all terms and conditions of this EULA:
You may install and use copies of the Software on computers, including workstations, terminals or other digital electronic devices residing on your premises (“Computers”) for the purpose of testing TrueType and OpenType fonts against version 1.4 of the OpenType Font Specification and Microsoft's font file quality recommendations.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology