Question re a very OLD FC version

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
MissyFitz

Question re a very OLD FC version

Post by MissyFitz »

I have been asked to help repair a font which is presently being sold commercially. The vendor has received reports of it not being installed properly on the Mac OS X 10.5.8. According to the designer, this font was created with FC 3.1.3 and I cannot seem to find any reference to this older version of FC anywhere on your site. The oldest version of FC that I can locate any reference at all to is version 4.0 from May 2003. The vendor who is selling this font sent this description of the problem: 'The font appears to install when using the Fontbook install options on a 10.5.8 OSX MAC, however, even though the font name is listed in the 'TextEdit' application font menu, the entered text displays in an alternate font.
The report was specific to local testing, as opposed to a customer e-mail.' So would I be safe in assuming that FC 3.1.3 is the problem and that there was no Mac OS X support that early on? Can fonts made from this early FC 3.1.3 version actually be sold legally for profit? Thanks, MF
Erwin Denissen

Re: Question re a very OLD FC version

Post by Erwin Denissen »

FontCreator version 3.1.3 was released back in 2002. Since then a lot has changed. We improved our software, but also the operating systems have moved forward. This combination is most likely the cause of the problem. I suggest you use the latest version of FontCreator Professional Edition to open the font file. Then use autonaming to ensure the naming fields are correct, and then save the font file. This most likely fixes the problem.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
MissyFitz

Re: Question re a very OLD FC version

Post by MissyFitz »

Thank you for your reply. I will suggest that the designer to do what you suggested. MF