Font modified with FC gets cut off on Kindle

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
barty

Font modified with FC gets cut off on Kindle

Post by barty »

I'm using FC 5.6 to modify an .otf font to use on a kindle 3. It works great except as you can see from the screenshot
screen_shot_41610.gif
screen_shot_41610.gif (33.67 KiB) Viewed 5080 times
text is being cut off at the right and left margin. For example, the l in "all", the d in "add" on the right side, and the descending curl of the f in "from your handwriting" on the left side. This doesn't happen with other fonts not modified, so I'm assuming there's something FC is doing that is throwing the kindle software off.

Note that I don't need to actually modify the font in any way to cause this. The problem is there if I just save the .otf as .ttf.

Any ideas what the problem could be? I've tried "recalc bounding boxes" and "recalc avg width" to no avail.

thanks in advance
Erwin Denissen

Re: Font modified with FC gets cut off on Kindle

Post by Erwin Denissen »

If you open a PostScript based OpenType font (usually the file extension is .otf), the outlines (CFF) will be converted to TrueType (glyf) outlines, and among that the instructions for hinting are lost. Maybe that conversion causes the issue.

It is also possible the kindle makes use of a hdmx table. That is no longer relevant on Windows, but other hardware might still depend on it. By default it is removed from fonts opened with FontCreator, but you can easily change this setting.

First make sure the "Remove" flags are unset, especially "Remove unsupported tables" before opening the font. You can change these flags through the Options window. To see or change these settings, go to the main menu, and open the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Font tab. You can continue to edit such fonts, as long as you don't add, remove, or change the order of the glyphs.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology