Problems with font modified by FC on Android System

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
bobcdy

Problems with font modified by FC on Android System

Post by bobcdy »

Recently I purchased a Nook Simple Touch for reading ebooks. I tried reading an epub I created that uses a ttf small cap font based on an otf font by Pesala (with his permission). With my previous ebook readers, BeBook One and Sony PRS-950, and on Adobe Digital Editions reader on my PC, the epub pages were displayed perfectly. With the Nook, an android 2.1 system, the font was shown erratically - many letters were not displayed and only blank spaces occurred with the letter should have been. For example the word "First" was displayed as " rst"; other letters were similarly affected but not consistently. I tried another small cap ttf font and had no difficulty with it, so I assume the android system somehow does not like the conversion from otf. Is there any way I can modify the converted font so that perhaps android will fully accept it, or do I need to reconvert using the changes suggested in the reply to previous post on the Kindle problem? If I reconvert, I would like to remove many unneeded glyphs, modified the remaining glyphs, and renamed the font (again with Pesala's permission).
Erwin Denissen

Re: Problems with font modified by FC on Android System

Post by Erwin Denissen »

It looks like the OpenType layout features got mixed up. Did you add, remove, or sort the glyphs?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
bobcdy

Post by bobcdy »

Yes, I did remove a number of unneeded glyphs.
vanisaac

Post by vanisaac »

Instead of removing the glyphs, try blanking them and removing all the mappings. You should be able to do this in one step with "paste special". Doing that, you shouldn't screw up OT substitutions, which substitute by glyph index.
bobcdy

Post by bobcdy »

I'm not sure about how to do this. If I select several glyphs, then do a right mouse click, I don't seen any "paste special", and if I go to the edit menu, I do see a paste special but it is grayed out.
vanisaac

Post by vanisaac »

Yeah, paste special is not available on right-click, only under the edit menu, or with ctrl+e.

If you copy the same number of empty glyphs as you are pasting, it will still work fine. A warning, though; if you copy multiple empty glyphs, then paste them after only selecting one, it will actually paste into that glyph and the appropriate number of succeeding glyphs, even if you didn't select them. If I were doing this, I would make a new file, remove all the glyphs, then add a couple dozen new glyphs without mappings. You can then use these as the empty glyphs to copy into your target font.
vanisaac

Post by vanisaac »

Dah! Erwin, is paste special not available in the home edition?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The best solution is to rebuild the OpenType tables after making all desired modifications to the font.

I provide the OpenType Compiler script with my free fonts so that others can do this quite easily, after studying the Tutorial Thread

Recompiling TTF > OTF with the existing script after deleting some glyphs will probably generate some errors, and these error messages will tell you which lines in the script need to be removed or edited.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology