cachett as a plugin for the Font Creator Program

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!

Anyone ever used cachett to add VDMX, hdmx and LTSH tables?

Yes, I use it as a final step during my font creation process
25%
Sometimes
13%
Never heard of it
50%
No, I don't need those extra tables
13%

Total votes: 8

Erwin Denissen

cachett as a plugin for the Font Creator Program

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I wonder if people use this tool from Microsoft. If many people use it I might want to integrate it into the Font Creator Program.

More info about CacheTT
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
DEWLine

Post by DEWLine »

News to me. I'm just trying to learn how to design my own comics-inspired non-Terran language fonts with FCP and learning the basics of that alone is interesting enough. :D
Dwight Williams, Storyteller
Joop Jagers
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Joop Jagers »

Perhaps it's useful to explain the purpose of these tables. If I'm correct they are not vitally important. A font can work properly even if none of these tables is present. Yet they are certainly useful, because they reduce the workload of the rasterizer. When a text is written to the screen the rasterizer searches for these tables and if they are found it *reads* and uses the values stored there. If one or more of these tables are absent, the rasterizer has to *calculate* these values from data stored in the font. This procedure takes some processor time and consequently slows down your computer. A serious problem can occur when a font has incorrect values in these tables, which might happen if you add a number of glyphs without deleting or updating the LTSH table.

So, Edwin, my suggestion would be to include the CACHETT functionality into FC. The more people do NOT use CACHETT the more sense it makes to include its features into FC.

Just an opinion.
vanisaac

Post by vanisaac »

I agree with Joop. If FCP were to automatically include (and also give you the option of deleting or excluding) the VDMX, hdmx, and LTSH tables, it would make FCP fonts better customizable for particular circumstances. I can think of times when the smaller file size of not including the table would be advantageous, but given the penchant of Microsoft programmers to make bulkier and more memory intensive apps, it is probably a good idea, the vast majority of the time, to save as much processing power as possible.

And his name is Erwin, not Edwin.
Joop Jagers
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Joop Jagers »

vanisaac wrote: And his name is Erwin, not Edwin.
You're sooo right... :oops:
morftp

Post by morftp »

Is that tool about font hinting :?: => Yes sure please :!: