Align toolbar buttons Send to back etc -- what are they for?

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
jamadagni

Align toolbar buttons Send to back etc -- what are they for?

Post by jamadagni »

Hello. The Align and Distribute has four buttons -- Bring to front, send to back, bring forward, send back -- it is not clear to me what these are useful for in FC. Can anyone please elucidate?

In general purpose vector editors the objects surely have a z-order (which I think is merely implemented as the storage order) whereby one outline will "overwrite" another in terms of stroke and fill. I am not sure how these are relevant to font outlines where colour or pattern is irrelevant.
Shriramana Sharma
Erwin Denissen

Re: Align toolbar buttons Send to back etc -- what are they

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I agree, these are not very important features, but it allows one to define contours in a preferred order.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
jamadagni

Post by jamadagni »

Erwin Denissen wrote:I agree, these are not very important features, but it allows one to define contours in a preferred order.
Hi Erwin and thanks for your reply.

I just now drew two overlapping circles in FC, and tried clicking on the intersection between them, and find that the contour which is conceptually "in front" gets selected, and this has a lesser contour number (from the status bar) than a contour which is supposed to be "behind".

So do I understand that this is merely implemented in terms of the storage order of the contours, and being first in storage order mean being in front or in back?

And is this intended to be useful for font interpolation and such future features?

Thanks!
Shriramana Sharma
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

jamadagni wrote:So do I understand that this is merely implemented in terms of the storage order of the contours, and being first in storage order mean being in front or in back?
That is indeed one of the useful reasons to change the order.
jamadagni wrote:And is this intended to be useful for font interpolation and such future features?
Maybe.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology