Font Validator confused by counterclockwise contours?

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Font Validator confused by counterclockwise contours?

Post by Alfred »

After using the Glyph Transformer to create an outline (hollow) version of a font, I ran the Font Validator to see what needed tidying up. As expected, there were quite a lot of glyphs with intersecting coordinates, but there were also a few 'Contours with incorrect direction' errors.

If I let the validator change the direction of the 'incorrect' contours in examples such as the attached '@' sign, I get black blobs instead of holes. Strangely, I get the same error with 'p' but not with 'q', and with the bottom storey of a two-storey 'g' but not with the top. I don't know whether this is a bug or just a limitation, which is why I'm posting about it here.
Attachments
CosmeticaOutline_amphora.png
CosmeticaOutline_amphora.png (13.28 KiB) Viewed 9178 times
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Font Validator confused by counterclockwise contours?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Hard to know what's up without the font.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Sorry about that! It's MgOpen Cosmetica Regular, from here.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I really meant the version that you have modified.

I applied the Outline Light transform script (Scale 99,99.33; Hollow 5,5, Move 0,5) to get a result similar to your screen shot. There were no validation errors.

So what did you do to get that result?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Apologies once again. It's clear to me now that I overlooked the fact that I must have corrected the 'intersecting coordinates' errors to enable the 'contours with incorrect direction' tests to take place.

I simply chose 'Effects > Hollow' in the Transform Wizard; I don't seem to have an 'Outline Light' option here. I then corrected some of the 'intersecting coordinates' errors to arrive at the .fcp file which I've now zipped up and attached here. If you run the Font Validation Wizard and allow it to fix detected problems, you should find that it tells you "3 glyphs have been (partially) fixed."
Attachments
CosmeticaOutlineRegular.zip
(34.39 KiB) Downloaded 432 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Yes. Not really a bug as the "Contour with incorrect direction" is just too big.

To access the Transform scripts from the Glyph Transform dialogue, click the Open folder.

Hollow 30 is just too much for a font with fine strokes like this, which are less than 60 funits in width in many places. Use Hollow 10, or open the Outline Light transform script, which attempts to keep the glyph roughly the same size after the transformation.
Attachments
Outline Light.png
Outline Light.png (22.18 KiB) Viewed 9170 times
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Thanks for that. Time to start again, methinks!
vanisaac

Post by vanisaac »

A contour with incorrect direction has counters that are also wound the wrong way. The validator will only correct the positive contour, though. I've always had to manually fix any counters. You often get an improperly wound contour when you make new characters by mirroring another - like p and q or L and Γ.