Which file types?

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
MikeW

Re: Which file types?

Post by MikeW »

Hi Erwin--yes, you are correct. Flashes by so fast that I am focusing on different aspects. I had to make a screen recording to make sure what the dialog actually says.

As to which process is more faithful to the original letter form, I'll take the copy/paste. It does a pretty good job out of the applications I use. Even when a PDF comes in with fewer nodes, there are always overlapping issues, contours the wrong direction, etc., etc.

As regards the contents of the clipboard, among the formats that AI puts there are EPS and PDF. See the screen shot. The EPS or PDF data is what Fontlab grabs when pasting (and TypeTool). I suspect they are querying the clipboard and or know the position in the clipboard that AI puts the various formats (it's always in the same order in my quickie tests). Because I am not getting the dialog with pasting from AI, I am assuming that you are grabbing either the PDF or EPS data. Is that correct?

While the clipboard viewer I am using shows zero bytes for the metafile formats on the clipboard, there is data there. So pasting what I just copied from AI, when I paste into say XDP, I am asked whether I want the DIB or the metafile version. The metafile portion pastes as vector, of course. And vice versa. When I copy something out of XDP and paste inot AI or CD, then it is the vector metafile contents of the clipboard.

Why cannot FC also grab the metafile version?