Altering Existing Fonts

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
cwhart

Altering Existing Fonts

Post by cwhart »

I am brand new to this program, so would someone please help me with what will seem like dumb questions to some. This is an expensive program, and I want to be sure before I buy it.

I am designing a book using the Garamond font. There is one character in Garamond italic that I hate--the italic "h" looks like a "b".

Could I use this FontCreator to alter the appearance of the italic "h"?

Would it alter the existing italic Garamond font file in my computer, or would I then have a new version of the italic Garamond font file which I would have to select?

Is it even possible to change TrueType fonts?

Why are the capital and lowercase Garamond letters in the demo version grayed out? Is it because I have the demo, or is that the answer to my previous question about even being able to alter TrueType fonts?

Thanks
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added meaningful thread title
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Altering Existing Fonts

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Although it's not difficult to modify existing fonts using FontCreator, most commercial fonts don't allow it. You may find it easier to use a different font, such as Aldine, Baskerville, or Caslon.

The license on my own fonts, such as Guru does allow you to modify it, as long as you use a new name, but it's not identical to the version of Garamond that you probably want to use. It is more condensed, and has the same italic h that looks like lowercase b. That's just how Garamond was designed.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
cwhart

Re: Altering Existing Fonts

Post by cwhart »

Thank you! Very helpful.