Editing Existing Fonts

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
Font0

Editing Existing Fonts

Post by Font0 »

Hello I am new and have questions:

1. Is FontCreator free?
2. Can I create fonts with it, and put them into my Youtube Videos which are monetized?

Can Ii use fonts, and make them smaller, or is it forbidden?

here an example:
left is the real T, right the one that I created with FontCreator (from the real T)
T2.jpg
T2.jpg (8.85 KiB) Viewed 5108 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Editing Existing Fonts

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

1. No. FontCreator is not free. To use it for Commercial Use you need to purchase the Standard or Professional version.
  2. Whether it is permissible to edit an existing font or not depends on the license conditions of the font. If you search a little, you can find many fonts with GNU or SIL open licenses that permitted new versions to be derived from them as long as they are renamed. The license of the commercial fonts that are installed with Windows or other applications usually do not permit editing.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Font0

Post by Font0 »

thanks for the answer.
But how can someone know that i edited an existing font?
It looks different as you can see on the picture. I could have made it myself somehow..
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You will inevitably leaves some tracks by which the font's lawful owners could prove that you edited their font. The chances of you being caught and prosecuted may be very slim, but since free and OpenSource Fonts are widely available, it makes no sense to modify commercial fonts.

License terms vary, so do read the small print carefully before investing your money in buying FontCreator and time editing the font:
The OFL allows the licensed fonts to be used, studied, modified and redistributed freely as long as they are not sold by themselves. The fonts, including any derivative works, can be bundled, embedded, redistributed and/or sold with any software provided that any reserved names are not used by derivative works. The fonts and derivatives, however, cannot be released under any other type of license. The requirement for fonts to remain under this license does not apply to any document created using the fonts or their derivatives.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Font0

Post by Font0 »

thanks.
I wanted to use the edited font on pictures only, so that you can not copy it or so...

Well i wanted to have a font that i very like, but i dont know what font it is...

Can i ask that here? Or is it forbidden? I would show you a picture with the font on it that i want. Maybe you can find out which font it is?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Try uploading an image to What the Font? or ask on the Identify a Font Forum