Importance of Macintosh Glyph Maps

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Importance of Macintosh Glyph Maps

Post by Dick Pape »

I am following up to my question (under "Enhancement") about font sorting.

1. How do you map Macintosh fonts? Is there a table of Mac glyphs in FCP? Is there an external table of such? Do we try to maintain MacMaps? If it's so important, shouldn't we do something about it? (Reminds me of Panose).

2. There had been a previous question (November) about the relevance of Macintosh naming fields and all and Erwin said "For historical reasons" we keep them around just in case...

2. Other than that what is the impact on PC fonts of deleting the Macintosh mapping information? By dropping that wouldn't I eliminate FCP's ability to figure out the Macintosh glyph order and it would default to using the Microsoft map sequence?

This would give me my desired glyph order consistent with Unicode values. QED?

Dick Pape
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

1. How do you map Macintosh fonts? Is there a table of Mac glyphs in FCP? Is there an external table of such? Do we try to maintain MacMaps? If it's so important, shouldn't we do something about it? (Reminds me of Panose).
The Macintosh mappings can be found in several places, I use WGL4.0 Character Set as a starting point.
2. There had been a previous question (November) about the relevance of Macintosh naming fields and all and Erwin said "For historical reasons" we keep them around just in case...
From the manual:

Because some word processors and DTP applications depend on the Macintosh Roman mappings they should be included as well.

I think you could get problems with PDF when you remove the Macintosh mappings, but I'm not sure.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

Hi Erwin

Very quickly, I deleted all Macintosh stuff that I knew of (maps and platforms), installed it and used it in Word 2000 without a problem. It also displayed in Excel and Power Point. Those are the only ones I tested.

Interestingly, the Character Map of Word shows a different glyph order than what the font shows. Seems to be mapping code sequence.

Dick