Font views different when..

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
pt_crusier_2002

Font views different when..

Post by pt_crusier_2002 »

:D Recently purchased the latest version of this software, really impressed with all the great features, so much to learn. Have had better luck creating my Monument fonts than with Ver. 7.0, but still have a few quick questions from using it.
  1. I open Type Designer Kern and make my adjustment and save and use the preview where you can type samples of the letters you want to kern. They look great as I want them in this part of the program, but when I then use the Test TTF/OTF part of the program the kerning between letters seems to have changed, is this normal. I have yet to save as a font cause I am not sure what the finish font will have for spacing between letters.
  2. When I import the AI files from the clip board I notice that when I now look at the vector letters a lot of the corners have rounded or turn into a curve instead of the straight lines originally drawn is there a way to prevent that from happening or a way to import as originally drawn.
Thanks ahead for any response. :)
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed typos and formatting
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Font views different when..

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Smoothing of sharp corners is normal on bitmaps, not on vectors. Attach a sample AI file in a zip archive.

One way to test a font without installing it is the leave the Font Test window open and select the font in your favourite application using the name shown in the Font Test window's title bar.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
pt_crusier_2002

The Characters of the font are vector files not bitmaps that I have been copying to the clipboard from CorelDraw 6 to import into FontCreator, but the sharp corners and some of the straight lines have been transformed into curve lines is this normal?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

pt_crusier_2002 wrote:The Characters of the font are vector files not bitmaps that I have been copying to the clipboard from CorelDraw 6 to import into FontCreator, but the sharp corners and some of the straight lines have been transformed into curve lines is this normal?
The vectors will be copied to the clipboard as bitmaps, not vectors.

I think that from CorelDraw your best option is to export as PDF and import those into FontCreator.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:The vectors will be copied to the clipboard as bitmaps, not vectors.

I think that from CorelDraw your best option is to export as PDF and import those into FontCreator.
Yes on PDF or EPS from CD.

No on what is being copied to the clipboard. CD, just like most applications, copies more than one format to the clipboard. It's up to the "paste into" application to pull from the clipboard the "best" format. Which is why some applications have a Paste Special so the user can choose if the clipboard contents come in using a format not desired and or the application cannot determine the format to choose from.

I use CD, among AI and others. I copy and paste vector between them all the time. As far as I know, the only vector format FC will pull in is from AI. Which, I believe, the default setting in AI is one of the clipboard formats is to copy PDF data.
pt_crusier_2002

Have completed my first Industry Standard Monumental Sandblast font using FontCreator 9. I was having issues with the outlines changing when brought into FontCreator from CorelDraw 6. The Solution was for me to save each character as a pdf file which contained the vector outlines of each character. When I then imported them into FontCreator they came in as I had made them in my Gerber Omega 5.0 program. The only thing I had issue with is that the pdfs would scale up and down when importing into FontCreator, so I include a reference Cap height rectangle that I could use to get the outlines to the correct size by scaling it up or down to match the reference lines in FontCreator.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sure this topic will help other users as well!
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology