Is import of vector formats implemented?

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
michel22

Is import of vector formats implemented?

Post by michel22 »

Hi

I test the tool to know if I can import vector glyph ( SVG AI EPS) ?

What is the best workflow if we want to import vector design in FontCreator 9 ?

regard's
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Is import of vector formats implemented?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Yes. FontCreator 9 can import vector formats.

What happens when you try?

I find that the best workflow is to export to files name A.pdf, B.pdf, etc. then drag and drop into glyph A using Windows Explorer.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

I am told that vector import has improved a lot in version 10 but I haven't had ocasion to test this out recently. My experience was with version 9 which had some problems with drag and drop of vector formats.
Last edited by PJMiller on Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
michel22

Post by michel22 »

Hi
So i understand we can do it but not efficient for good result .

For best result with pdf and inkscape coud i have more information about
the inkscape version
the workflow to have best pdf ( inkscap -pdf or inkscape -> tool-> pdf )
the pdf version
the best way ( option in inkscape ortool) to embedding glyph font in pdf when export ?

Since i find this cumbersome ( and miss a lot of informations corrected by @JMiller ..thanks )
1)what ll be the best /low cost software that import SVG /ai and that can export to a font format editable by fontcreator ?
2) can i open 2 font (ttf) in font creator 2 and copy paste glyph beetween the both inside font inside font creator ?

Regard's
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_ ... ormat#Text
http://askubuntu.com/questions/294349/c ... nd-effects
michel22

Post by michel22 »

Hi some

1- Does font creator import the font embedding in pdf with no issue ?( all data wit hno change / rendering )

in font design , in which context support only cubic or not quadratic matter ?
SVG support bezier spline of type quadratic and cubic .
pdf ( poscript level 2 ) seem to only support cubic spline .
Which type of bezier spline does Fontcretor support ?

Thank's
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

lionel-ofr@orange.fr wrote:So I understand we can do it but not efficient for good result.
I prefer to edit the curves directly in FontCreator, but importing PDF or AI can be an efficient workflow if you have an application that you prefer to work with, and which can export to PDF or AI.
For best result with pdf and inkscape coud i have more information
I suspect Inkscape could do this well, but I have not used it much.
what will be the best /low cost software that import SVG /ai and that can export to a font format editable by fontcreator ?
I made a template for PagePlus X8, which was intended as a tutorial on, and an aid to font design. I don't actually need to use that work flow, but as proof of concept it works. No doubt the template could be improved upon. I attach two PDF files for A and B, which I exported from my template. Import at a default scale value of 1.2 in Tools, Options, Glyph. Delete the black page rectangle, and move the glyph to the correct position. Template.pdf shows the master page content, with some instructions for users to know how and where to draw their glyphs. The template contains text glyphs from an existing font, but the idea is that one draws vectors with the drawing tools in PagePlus to create the glyphs. DrawPlus would be a better choice for an artist as it has support for pressure-sensitive tablets, but PagePlus has the basic pen and pencil tools. For my purposes it was much easier to use for creating a font creation tutorial.
Can I open 2 fonts in FontCreator and copy/paste glyphs between them both inside font inside font creator ?
Yes. Copy/paste works fine, but respect the copyright conditions of the font.
Attachments
Template.pdf
(167.74 KiB) Downloaded 396 times
A.pdf
(1.35 KiB) Downloaded 421 times
B.pdf
(1.62 KiB) Downloaded 423 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
michel22

Post by michel22 »

Hi
I already test inkscape but need a font converter and don't know if fontcreator is suitable in this case .. il ll do test . The fontcreator documentation don't seem to cover import export in details from svg or ai or pdf file compare to fontlab website. In my experience read "can do " or "yes " make me scare when i don't see informations about context ( version .. .see my illustrator capture screen panel option )

I already have a look to Drawplus on MS windows OS and find it awesome for the price but don't test it ! don't succeed to receive their licence on my mail .. !!

i have illustrator licence that export to pdf (Menu -> File -> Save ) and read article about foundry and people who use only illustrator for design glyph but they use fontlab for advanced edit ( kerning ligature ?) and i want a alternative to fontlab tool since illustrator do a lot ( trace handwriting text signature , design tool ) and i am not a designer ( only for logo/custom icon ) .

I need table/font editor only for
--import common font file ( ttf seem common .)
--web export common web font file (woff , otf, eot?#iefix , ttf , svg#fontName ) for all browser ( ie safari , chrome , firefox )
--optimize ( delete subset/ unsuse glyph )

I have to test how signature glyph after rearrange glyh in illustrator is place in fontcreator table glyph ! ( automate ? )

pdf option
pdf option
fontcreator_illustrator_pdf.jpg (88.48 KiB) Viewed 12738 times
Branais

Post by Branais »

It would be great if High-Logic considered enabling import of CorelDRAW format (.CDR) directly.

At the moment, CDR files have to be saved as SVG or AI, but like any conversion that can lead to loss of information. Please, High-Logic, expand the import capabilities.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Branais wrote:It would be great if High-Logic considered enabling import of CorelDRAW format (.CDR) directly.

At the moment, CDR files have to be saved as SVG or AI, but like any conversion that can lead to loss of information. Please, High-Logic, expand the import capabilities.
It would be pointless to spend time on direct import of CDR format. Truetype fonts and Postscript fonts don't support a fraction of the features that Corel Draw does — layers, bitmaps, stroke weight, etc.

SVG and AI provide an adequate solution for getting plain vector curves out of CorelDraw and into FontCreator. If these formats do not support some CorelDraw feature, then Truetype fonts will not support it either.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Maybe copy and paste works from Corel to FontCreator.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Branais

Post by Branais »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:It would be pointless to spend time on direct import of CDR format. Truetype fonts and Postscript fonts don't support a fraction of the features that Corel Draw does — layers, bitmaps, stroke weight, etc.
With respect, I don't see that that's an argument against the CDR format specifically. Couldn't the same be said of AI?
SVG and AI provide an adequate solution for getting plain vector curves out of CorelDraw and into FontCreator. If these formats do not support some CorelDraw feature, then Truetype fonts will not support it either.
Well, SVG does, so its addition is very welcome. I'm not sure what you mean about AI being an "adequate" solution, since it is proprietary and closed and requires Corel to reverse-engineer a conversion filter. And for CorelDRAW users, it adds another step to the workflow for each item, which it would be nice to avoid. :-)
Erwin Denissen wrote:Maybe copy and paste works from Corel to FontCreator.
Thanks Erwin. It could do. I couldn't find a way to make it happen, but that doesn't mean someone more knowledgeable than I couldn't achieve it.

To clarify my circumstances: I've downloaded the most recent version of FontCreator, to compare it with Fontlab (which I find a bit beyond my skills and a little too opaque in some of its functions. FontCreator seems more accessible in both its UI and wording of options). I came to this thread to see if there was any mention of CDR, and while I was here ended up musing on a portion of my wishlist.

Do I take it, Bhikkhu, that you're a staunch AI user? ;-)
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Branais wrote:Do I take it, Bhikkhu, that you're a staunch AI user? ;-)
I have never used Adobe Illustrator. My comments are based on the fact that Truetype fonts use either Truetype curves or Postscript curves. If you want to import a vector from any program EPS is a widely used standard.
Branais

Post by Branais »

Well, OpenType fonts can use Postscript curves, sure. But these don't appear to be implemented in FontCreator? Only TT-flavour OTF?

But AI format isn't pure Postscript anyway, but a proprietary version.

Nonetheless. It all just means CDR users have a longer workflow to import vector graphics.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Branais wrote:Nonetheless. It all just means CDR users have a longer workflow to import vector graphics.
Longer than what? Users of other vector programs will also have to export to postscript, PDF, or SVG formats.

CFF Outlines can be imported and exported from FontCreator.

However, as Erwin said, you can simply copy/paste.
Branais

Post by Branais »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Longer than what? Users of other vector programs will also have to export to postscript, PDF, or SVG formats.
Longer than AI users, obviously, or I guess other programs that may save natively to PDF or SVG. CorelDRAW does still have a larger market share of vector drawing than AI or most other programs that I can think of.

(Mate, have I offended you somehow? You sound kinda annoyed, but I certainly didn't intend to make you that way. On the other hand, I as trying to participate in a civil conversation when I first posted here; I don't much like feeling like I'm being told off.)
However, as Erwin said, you can simply copy/paste.
I'm not sure you can, unless you export CDR to another format.