Finding the code point of a character

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Finding the code point of a character

Post by William »

If one has a character on the clipboard yet one does not know which character it is, because one has no font to display it, is there any way that one can use FontCreator to identify the code point of the character please?

----

The question arose in the following manner.

I have earlier today posted the following post.

viewtopic.php?p=27300#p27300

The tagtests2.htm web page includes a pictograph character and some tag characters, located between two equal signs.

I happen to know which pictograph is used because I wrote the HTML code for the web page and a person could, in this case, find the character code by looking in the HTML code.

Yet the problem is more general, as the character for which one wants the code could in some circumstances just be in a UTF-16 file such as that produced by WordPad by saving as a Unicode Text Document.

It is helpful to read the following post, which is just before the post linked above in the thread.

viewtopic.php?p=27057#p27057

The thing is, for the tagtests2.htm file as displayed on my computer, the pictograph character displays as a black rectangle and the tag characters do not display at all.

Copying the displayed text onto the clipboard and pasting to WordPad displays the pictograph as a black rectangle. The tag characters can be displayed using the font linked from the tagtests.htm web page, though one needs to download and install the font to do that.

My question is this.

If one has a character on the clipboard yet one does not know which character it is, because one has no font to display it, is there any way that one can use FontCreator to identify the code point of the character please?

William Overington

6 February 2016
Erwin Denissen

Re: Finding the code point of a character

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Paste the character in the search box. Then you'll see the codepoint in the left top.
SearchCharacter.png
SearchCharacter.png (23.55 KiB) Viewed 6390 times
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Excellent.

Thank you.

William
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Some readers might like to know that the character used in the example can be found in the following code chart.

http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1F300.pdf

That code chart, listed as

Miscellaneous Symbols and Pictographs,

and many other code charts are linked from the following web page.

http://www.unicode.org/charts/

William Overington

8 February 2016