Insert... Confusion

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
Psymon

Insert... Confusion

Post by Psymon »

I'm confused.

So I'm working on my blackletter font (which has turned into a major research project -- ugh!), which had an alternate "r" character, and I just discovered that there's actually a name for that -- R-rotunda. Apart from a bunch of ligatures that I've made that make use of it, I had also plopped that character on it's own into my PUA, too, but now learn that there's actually a unicode slot for it, namely, uniA75B.

So naturally I figured I should get it right, and move that single character over to where it belongs.

So I go Insert -> Character, add in $A75B, and it adds in that slot, but it adds it to the end of all my glyphs, after all my PUA characters -- at least, that's where it ends up if I'm looking at my entire font. If I go under just Latin Extended-D (which is where that belongs) then I see it in there, but if I'm looking at the whole shebang, under "Glyphs," then it's at the very end.

Does this matter? I don't know, but it just bugs me that now I have everything "in order," except for that one stupid character/glyph. Did I do something wrong when inserting the character in the first place?

Here's what/where/how I see what I'm seeing, with that R-rotunda added in at the end -- just doesn't seem right to me...
Wickednesse - uniA75B.jpg
Wickednesse - uniA75B.jpg (140.28 KiB) Viewed 4187 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Insert... Confusion

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You did not do anything wrong. Unfortunately, that's how it works. You cannot insert a new character where it belongs. The best workaround is to cut the newly added character, insert a glyph where it belongs, and then Paste Special to paste the new character into the empty glyph, complete with its outlines (if any), codepoint, metrics, and glyph name.
Paste Special.png
Paste Special.png (13.95 KiB) Viewed 4183 times
Sorting the font is another possibility, but that is less convenient in my experience because unmapped glyphs are sorted by name.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Psymon

Post by Psymon »

Awesome, thanks, Bhikkhu! At least, I'm half-way through doing so. In the Paste Special dialog box there's also an Anchors checkbox -- I'm not even sure what that is. Is that a reference to things like lig lookups or whatever? If so, I guess I don't need that for this particular character.

Also in that dialog, under Metrics I guess I would select "Side bearings" (as opposed to "Left side bearing and advanced width")?

And then under Codepoints, there's three options:

- Keep same codepoints
- Overrule same codepoints
- Add codepoints

I haven't got a clue which of these to select. Pardon my stupidity (again). :roll:
Psymon

Post by Psymon »

Oh, never mind -- I see you added in a screenshot to your previous reply. Ha ha -- that answers my question (even if I don't understand it). ;)

EDIT: That seems to have worked (as, no doubt, you knew it would). ;) Thanks again, Bhikkhu! :)