Font Creator Expert Wanted...

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
MikeW

Re: Font Creator Expert Wanted...

Post by MikeW »

Well, I'll gladly forego any title.

Except Dunce as my oft used avatar displays...
mannyatt

Post by mannyatt »

Been in contact with Mike but, he has gone MIA :(

If anyone can help please do contact me and i will show you everything you need to make this font.
Hopefully, Mike will resurface, but I dont even know if he feels he can do it, so if someone can help please reach out to me.

Thanks!
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

I was in the hospital for a couple days. I didn't much more than make it home after my last email before my heart was giving me issues. My wife brought in my tablet, but gmail isn't set up on it.

I downloaded a couple tools to see if they work on Windows 10, two didn't but I may be able to make one work. If not I need to finish up an XP computer I have been working on to run a couple legacy applications I need.

I'm home now, but working on that computer won't happen for a couple days as I pretty much cannot lift anything, much less the old 21" CRT monitor it uses.

I'll be in contact via gmail later today.

MIA, but not dead yet...Mike
mannyatt

Post by mannyatt »

Oh Wow Mike, I had no idea! I figured you just couldnt figure out how to do it and went ghost on me.
I hope you feel better, I had no idea you were in the Hospital. Rest up, life is too short for stress...
Jonne Haven

Post by Jonne Haven »

MikeW wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:38 pm I was in the hospital for a couple days. I didn't much more than make it home after my last email before my heart was giving me issues. My wife brought in my tablet, but gmail isn't set up on it.
Aww Mike

I'm so sorry. I pray that your stay at the hospital was a productive one and that nothing serious is the matter. We need you around here! You're very important to a lot of people!

Be well, and Blessings,

Jonne
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Thank you, Jonne.

Mike
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Mike, I hope you get well soon.

Over the years we've had numerous requests for support for single stroke fonts. But since we don't own a cnc machine nor the software, we can't really move forward with this.

As font outlines always consist of closed contours, you can't really make single stroke fonts, but if your cnc software supports the trick to not close contours, then it is possible.

Currently FontCreator doesn't really help you design such fonts as it will show the outline like this:
singlestrokeclosed.png
singlestrokeclosed.png (16.62 KiB) Viewed 7365 times
Here is a screenshot of how it can look within FontCreator if we don't close contours:
singlestroke.png
singlestroke.png (13.56 KiB) Viewed 7365 times
If someone is willing to work together with us to see if and how we could better support this, let us know!
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:26 am Mike, I hope you get well soon.

Over the years we've had numerous requests for support for single stroke fonts. But since we don't own a cnc machine nor the software, we can't really move forward with this.

As font outlines always consist of closed contours, you can't really make single stroke fonts, but if your cnc software supports the trick to not close contours, then it is possible.

Currently FontCreator doesn't really help you design such fonts as it will show the outline like this:
singlestrokeclosed.png

Here is a screenshot of how it can look within FontCreator if we don't close contours:
singlestroke.png

If someone is willing to work together with us to see if and how we could better support this, let us know!
Perhaps a single stroke font could be spoofed by just going back along the same path (with a slight offset) so that the 'return path' is very short, so you get a closed loop which satisfies Font Creator and the open/true type standard but it might work with the CNC machine which goes along the same path twice and ends up back where it started.

I don't have a CNC machine so I can't test this and I don't know if the CNC machine actually 'needs' a break in the contour or whether it would be satisfied with a closed contour.

Just a thought.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Yes, that would be another option, but I would still like to work on this with someone who has access to a CNC machine and related software.

We've had numerous requests in the past about single stroke cnc fonts, and even though some people did make such fonts with FontCreator, we still don't know the exact requirements for such fonts.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
mannyatt

Post by mannyatt »

I have an engraving machine and Mike seems to once again be MIA or too busy with other jobs. I hope it isnt medical again.
If anyone needs my machine to test anything, I am available for free to do it anytime.
Mike did send me a proof of a .ttf that did engrave in single line font, so it can be done somehow.
It wasnt complete or what we need, but it was a test to show if it could be done and it can.
If someone has a way to ask him how he did it then he would be the guy who knows what he did.

If anyone can help with our font creation, we are under a time constraint now and need help. Thanks
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

mannyatt wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:18 pm If anyone can help with our font creation, we are under a time constraint now and need help. Thanks
I've just send you an email.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology