open type files not recognised by Progecad

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
algrass

open type files not recognised by Progecad

Post by algrass »

Progecad is a CAD program like Autocad but at a much lower price. I wanted to install one of my fonts to draw a clock face and discovered that although the font installed it was not being recognised as a valid font and continued to use one of the default Arial font that the program installs.
After contacting the vendor it was found that Progecad recognises .ttf files but not .otf files. Converting my file from otf to ttf solved the problem. The question is to convert the file I had to use an online converter. Can Font Creator force a file to be saved as .ttf? Or do I need to install FC ver.6.5! I recommended the designers of Progecad to update their program and accept otf files as ttf files are now obsolete.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: open type files not recognised by Progecad

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Just change the file extension to *.ttf. That will probably be sufficient to fool Progecad. I doubt very much if it knows anything about OpenType features. You might find that kerning is ignored too unless your fonts include a legacy kern table.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

To export a font in the old TrueType format set the export settings to the following settings:
  • Output file extension: .ttf
  • Outline Format: TrueType
  • OpenType Layout Features: No
  • Glyph Names: Regenerate for release
  • Legacy 'kern' Table: Yes
  • Hinting: No Hinting
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
algrass

Post by algrass »

Yes, thank you to both of you for your suggestions. I did notice that FC gives the option to save as .ttf in the save as dialogue. As usual, I had not seen it!
You are right about Progecad ignoring OpenType features. Anyway, I reported the issue to Progecad and their developers are now working on a patch to accept .otf files.

I still think FC is a great program. I am designing a clock face with some bespoke Roman numerals. I enclose a screenshot to challenge your understanding!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 16.07.48.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 16.07.48.png (500.22 KiB) Viewed 5707 times