Version 5 Features

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Version 5 Features

Post by Dick Pape »

Love the new features in Version 5:

1. Join Contours is an incredible help fixing overlapping contours. All my euro creation work is now trivial -- it resolves the crossed compound strokes. I don't know how you were able to accomplish that. Nice feature.

2. The added Validation error detection routines further clean up glyphs. Unfortunately, it means I have to recheck some of my older fonts to make sure they are "up to standard".

3. Automating some of the Font Setting calculations is a great help. I no longer have to worry about the Slope Tangent on Rise and Run! Calculating ascents and descent values is nice improvement also.

4. I'd like to have option on which Externals to Launch. (I like my Char Map better than yours (Microsoft's), for instance.)

For me, a valuable upgrade.

Dick Pape
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I add my vote to the request for launching different external programs, but have you checked out the new Insert Character feature? If you choose a font such as MS Arial Unicode, this will serve as a built-in character map.

One as yet undocumented tip for inserting a range of characters:

:arrow: Double-click on the first character in the range
:arrow: Hold down shift and double-click on the last in the range

BTW. Which character map do you use? Babel Map is very powerful, and has a useful font analysis utility.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

I use a simple font mapper to which I can link from another application.

I like Babel Map too, just wish they had ability to read fonts not installed and that you could give name/location of font to display.

Author said several of us had asked for that feature, but he didn't have enough time or money to implement. Maybe now that Erwin has a brief respite he could volunteer to fix Babel Map!!!

Maybe we (Erwin, since he has a brief...) can fix FC to temporarily install font with an "early name" and launch Babel Map.

DP
sevry7

Re: Version 5 Features

Post by sevry7 »

Dick Pape wrote:Love the new features in Version 5:

1. Join Contours is an incredible

Dick Pape
I don't think that's generally available except for $100 and the 'pro' edition. Correct me if I'm wrong. There is more than one "Version 5".
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Additional Features in the Pro Edtion $99

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

- Complete Composites; adds glyph members from composite data
- Insert Characters feature to add one or more characters at once
- Advanced contour operations: Union, Intersection and Exclusion
- Knife feature to split contours
- Batch transformation of characters
- Font validation
- Automatic Kerning
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Hutschi

Post by Hutschi »

Join Contures is the feature, I missed in earlier versions. I like it very much.
It convinced me to update my earlier version.

It is really a good work.

Best regards
Bernd

PS: Unfortunately, the payment does not seem to accept my Maestro-Card.
So it will take me until I have access to my credit card.

---

PS:
I used the Master Card now.