Stylistic sets v Character Variants in open type

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
Anne Hext

Stylistic sets v Character Variants in open type

Post by Anne Hext »

I an looking at the Latin letter Eng: Times writes it with a capital shaped like the small n with hook and Calibri uses a capital N to put the hook on, then uses a .ss01 to put the times version shape in it. Is there a 'best practice" with these suffixes or can you choose either. Also how are these alternatives accessed maybe stylistic sets are easier to access than .cv01 sets.
Any comments would be great
:)
Anne
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Stylistic sets v Character Variants in open type

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

All I can suggest is look at the Microsoft Tag Registry descriptions:

Character Variants: cv01

Stylistic Sets: ss01

As to the design of Capital Eng, see various fonts that support it on fileformat.info.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Anne Hext

Post by Anne Hext »

That's just what I needed. basically ss01 is series of characters and cv01etc is more for single character variants. Its worth putting in favourites that site.
Thank you.
Anne
Anne Hext

Post by Anne Hext »

How do you access stylistic sets in word notepad or coreldraw?
Anne
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Anne Hext wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:29 pm How do you access stylistic sets in word notepad or coreldraw?
Notepad has very limited support for OpenType. Only some ligatures will be supported.

I don't know about CorelDraw support for OpenType. Which version are you using?

See Here for example.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Anne Hext wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:29 pm How do you access stylistic sets in word notepad or coreldraw?
Notepad and Wordpad have no way to activate OpenType features, but the ones used to display complex scripts such as Arabic or Devanagari are enabled by default.

In Word you can access them through the Font dialog, on the Advanced tab. See the end of this article:
Enrich Your Fonts with OpenType Features
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
ClintGoss

Post by ClintGoss »

From CorelDraw X8:
  • Select an Artistic or Paragraph Text item
  • Menu Text => Text Properties (control-T). This will place a docking panel on the right side. In that docking panel:
  • Expand the first, "Character" section
  • In the middle is a matrix (typically 5 wide by 4 high) of symbols and checkboxes. The "S" item (3 down and 2 over) is for Stylistic Sets.
  • Select the small triangle in the lower right to see which SS are available - 1 through 20.