Shadow

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
Jonne Haven

Shadow

Post by Jonne Haven »

Season's Greetings all,

There is a shadow option that I like to use with my font in Microsoft Word 360. Is it possible to add the shadow in my font so that users who don't know how can benefit from the shadow feature. I don't mind no longer having no shadow in my font.

Thanks
Jonne
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Shadow

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Jonne Haven

Post by Jonne Haven »

Merry Christmas!

I looked up that thread Bhikku Pesala but that is not the kind of shadow I want. These are two pics one with no shadow and one from Microsoft windows effects. I'd like to make my font look like the Word version for other programs.

I tried to do it on my own but I don't understand the program well enough. Please help! It would make my Christmas!

Without Shadow.png
Without Shadow.png (106.03 KiB) Viewed 7542 times
Without Shadow.png[/attachment]
Attachments
With Shadows.png
With Shadows.png (121.54 KiB) Viewed 7542 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

It is not possible to include transparency in a font. You can only get a sharp shadow. You could use a grey colour with colour glyphs, but it would still be sharp.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Jonne Haven

Post by Jonne Haven »

Thanks Bhikkhu Pesala,

That's a bummer but it's good to know my limits.

Thanks again!

Merry Christmas

Jonne
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The color palette supports colors with transparency, so it might be possible to mimic it.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:42 pm The color palette supports colors with transparency, so it might be possible to mimic it.
Tricky though, because it needs a graduated transparency to look good, which would mean several shadows with increasing transparency.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Yes, that is true. It might be a fun experiment to add such thing as a new transform feature e.g.:
Generate color with shadow from default outline

With SVG color support in your fonts, you could also use a shadow filter (e.g. feGaussianBlur), but that is not supported by all rasterizers that implemented support for fonts with SVG color outlines. Or maybe the specs even restrict you from using it, and some implementations (Firefox) support it even though they shouldn't.

Maybe an SVG with a linear gradient could also do the trick, but not with FontCreator 12.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

Inkscape uses the SVG format and that does all sorts of gradients very well. The source code is all freely available. Might be worth a look just as an example of how someone else did it.