keyboard input

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
johnmcork

keyboard input

Post by johnmcork »

I can use the keyboard sequence ALT 163 to insert ú and ALT 0163 to insert £ but this only appears to work on values up to 0XFF and not on values in the private code space 0XE000 and above. Am I missing something? Is there a utility that can hook into Windows system queue to do this? Is there an open source program I can modify to do this? I have downloaded WINVNKEY’s source but I would like advice before hacking it.

John Cork
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I find that I can enter just about any Unicode character into Wordpad with Alter Keypad, but it’s not a method I recommend. My preferred method now is to type in Opera Browser, which fully supports Unicode. See my post in this thread and the relevant links for more information.

The following are all in Latin Extended Additional and can be typed easily using Opera. It could be customised for any language you like. Never tried Private Use Characters, but no doubt that’s possible too.

ṇḷḍṃṇṅṭ
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

The SC UniPad program may be of interest.

http://www.unipad.org

There is a Control-Q function for inputting a Unicode character. The program uses its own built-in font. One can copy and paste into other applications, such as WordPad.

I have used WordPad for entering Private Use Area characters, though sometimes I find that I need to press the space bar afterwards. I heard somewhere that it is due to Microsoft presuming historically that some parts of the Private Use Area are going to be used for some oriental characters by users of WordPad using some convention of which I am not aware.

You could try Alt-59143 with a copy of my Quest text font if you like. That is for a ct ligature character, U+E707.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/fonts.htm

William Overington
johnmcork

Post by johnmcork »

Thank

I tried ALT 59143 with qwest test font and word pad and it works fine.
I tried ALT 57344 (0XEOO - 0XE07F) (my) XUML font and word pad and it works fine.
I also tried SC unipad and it works fine.

The problem seems to be; I was using MS WORD for the test and it dosen't work!!! You can cut and paste into Word but not but cannot get ALT-private from keyboard, I quess is a locale smart feature. I will check.

Again thanks
johnmcork

Post by johnmcork »

And the answer to the MS Word problem is:

1. You can set your fonts as default so they appear the top of the font drop down selection box.

2. You can also print the fonts from font creator as a reference.

3. Assign keyboard short cut

Use the last two digits of the hex code as alternate entry.

In word: Insert -> symbol [symbol tab] -> select font -> subset select private use area - > select glyph -> click shortcut key text box -> hold alt and type 00 for 0XE000 or hold alt and type 01 for 0XE001 -> press assign and close.

This give a range of ALT x,y, ALT+CTRL+ x,y and CTRL x,y for three 256 character ranges.

Again thank for help

john cork :D