Expressions

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
Hafonton
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Expressions

Post by Hafonton »

I see
Thanks!
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Expressions do make things slower, especially with complex variable fonts with lots of glyphs.

Some more things that slow things down are:
Huge pair positioning lookups, but there is not much we can do about that
The algorithm to detect compatibility issues among glyph layers in a variable font

Let us know if you think your work is affected by this.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

An upcoming update will allow you to set metrics for all layers, using the same Edit across layers toolbar icon from the Masters and Layers panel.

While implementing this I sometime accidentally changes metrics for all layers, while I intended to only make a change to a single layer. So I wonder is there some way to make this more intuitive?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Hafonton
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Hafonton »

Layers are mostly for color fonts, right? I don't use them really.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Hafonton wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:44 am Layers are mostly for color fonts, right? I don't use them really.
There is some much terminology and the specs get more complex with every update, but I am talking about masters.

The upcoming update allows you to set the left side-bearing for all masters of a glyph at once. Usually such metric is not equal for all masters, so this enhancement might do more harm, so some advise is welcome! 8)
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Hafonton
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Hafonton »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:59 am
Hafonton wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:44 am Layers are mostly for color fonts, right? I don't use them really.
There is some much terminology and the specs get more complex with every update, but I am talking about masters.

The upcoming update allows you to set the left side-bearing for all masters of a glyph at once. Usually such metric is not equal for all masters, so this enhancement might do more harm, so some advise is welcome! 8)
If its still possible to set different side-bearings to each master (as well as setting the same side bearing to all masters), I don't see any harm.