Programs that accept kerned fonts ... and those that do not

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
i-am-me

Programs that accept kerned fonts ... and those that do not

Post by i-am-me »

I would be interested in knowing ~~MORE~~ programs that do and do not support kerned fonts.

I use XP Pro and my experience is:

YES * accepts kerned fonts I made with FC5:
* Adobe Photoshop CS (v.8.)

NO - does not accept kerned fonts I made with FC5
- Jasc Paint Shop Pro 7, 8, & 9.
(note: I can adjust kerning in PSP 7-9, but it's just not the same)
- Corel Draw Suite 8, 9, 10, 11.
- MS products like FrontPage 2000-2003.

FYI: MY FC5 fonts are still usable in all programs, but the laborious, detailed kerning is not showing up.

Thanks
Last edited by i-am-me on Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The manual explains how to enable kerning in Microsoft Word.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
i-am-me

Post by i-am-me »

Okay, Thanks. I deleted that. :oops:

It would still be nice to know anyone's experiences. :)

Here's a sample picture of Paint Shop Pro & Photoshop CS.
http://thump.net/1235524/avatars-sample ... ampleg.jpg . :)
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

From what I've heard these applications support kerning:
Adobe InDesign
Adobe Illustrator

Adobe Acrobat supports kerning for Type 1 fonts; can anyone confirm support for TrueType and OpenType fonts?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Handwriting fonts do not generally require kerning. Take a look at Lucida Handwriting, for example. Like Chuzzle Script, that I illustrated, any kerning should be done in the design window by adjusting left and right side-bearings using the Comparison Tooblar as a guide.

Kerning is required where a font needs different spacing between different letter pairs such as between V and A, where the A can be more closely spaced to the V than the T. Automatic kerning from the tools menu is not laborious at all, but manual adjustment to some kerning pairs may be needed.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
i-am-me

Post by i-am-me »

Lucida Handwriting is a PERFECT font. I do fonts for people who submit their handwriting and samples. I also do "artsy" handwriting fonts; none of these are PERFECT like Lucida Handwriting. I am very interested in pleasing my client or myself.

The comparison window is nice and shows kerning you've done, but does it actually "do" kerning?

I really like the kerning screen ... easy to pick and choose pairs, easy line-up (a small grid would be nice), and little mouse & wrist work. If I kern via the kerning screen, I won't miss anything.

I would like to compile a list of software that accepts (& not) the kerned fonts for my clients, that way the client can make the decision whether they would like me to kern for them or not. I obviously can not afford to purchase every product on the market, so I really appreciate your input and experiences with other software. Anyone else is welcome to post as well!

I can also add to the "not list" ... all versions of Print Shop, Print Master, and Sierra Print. I am ~~NOT~~ complaing about FC in any way, I just wish other software makers would advance a little!

-- Slightly off topic -- Is there an industry standard of pairs for kerning I should only be concerned with, rather than the entire font?

Thanks! I really learn a lot from this forum!