Smoothing in FontCreator 6.0

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
kenproulx

Smoothing in FontCreator 6.0

Post by kenproulx »

I just purchase fontcrator version 6.0. i took a font that had passed ms font validator test previously under fontcreator 5.6 and decided to use the new SMOOTHING command for CLEARTYPE available in fontcreator 6.0.

my settings under SMOOTHING > PREFERRED RASTERIZATION TECHNIQUES > STANDARD are: 8 gray, 17, grid, 65535 grid & gray.

1. What should my CLEARTYPE settings be?

2. also, when i check any boxes under the CLEARTYPE dialog, ms font validator returns an error code. why?
Erwin Denissen

Re: Smoothing in FontCreator 6.0

Post by Erwin Denissen »

There is not enough information availabe about the ClearType flags, so I suggest you either leave them empty, or set them more or less equal to the Standard values.
2. also, when i check any boxes under the CLEARTYPE dialog, ms font validator returns an error code. why?
Because Microsoft FontValidator is outdated. It can only be used for testing TrueType and OpenType fonts against version 1.4 of the OpenType Font Specification. The current version of the specs is 1.6. See also: Contents and Layout: Version 4 produces errors.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I'm glad to see, the new features are being used already. Actually I think your font is one of the first with this new setting, so congrats!
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
kenproulx

Post by kenproulx »

what are the standard values for cleartype?
Erwin Denissen wrote:
There is not enough information availabe about the ClearType flags, so I suggest you either leave them empty, or set them more or less equal to the Standard values.
Because Microsoft FontValidator is outdated. It can only be used for testing TrueType and OpenType fonts against version 1.4 of the OpenType Font Specification. The current version of the specs is 1.6. See also: Contents and Layout: Version 4 produces errors.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

kenproulx wrote:what are the standard values for cleartype?
Set them equal to the values you define for Standard smoothing. E.g. Standard Gridfitting and ClearType Gridfitting, or Standard Grayscale rendering and ClearType Smoothing.

At very small sizes, the best appearance on grayscale devices can usually be achieved by rendering the glyphs in grayscale without gridfitting. At intermediate sizes, gridfitting (also known as hinting) and monochrome rendering will usually produce the best appearance. At large sizes, the combination of gridfitting and grayscale rendering will typically produce the best appearance.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology