Can a font go bad???

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
lorie

Can a font go bad???

Post by lorie »

I'm not sure how it happened but I think a font on my system became corrupt. I have all decorative/fun fonts in a folder that is not the Windows system Font folder (I install/load them as needed with MainType...) This font has worked fine for months. However, a couple of days ago, it began to present a problem. In MainType, when I tried to scroll down through the folder where it resided, the program would slow down to a crawl. Clicking on this font (to show its preview) caused MainType to lock up for several minutes. When I closed MainType and tried looking in the folder in Windows Explorer, the same thing happened. This behavior became steadily worse, until today, I decided to delete it. Even just selecting it to delete locked up Windows Explorer to the point that even the Task Manager could not kill it... I finally was able to delete the demon font by rebooting in Safe Mode and deleting it!

Any ideas on what happened? I am running the RC version of Windows 7 but have not had this problem until a couple of days ago. Virus protection is up, running and current. So far no other fonts are affected but I'd like to keep it that way. The font was a freebie, downloaded from what has always been a reputable free font site. I have downloaded it again but have not yet unzipped it.

Any help/ideas would be great!
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Can a font go bad???

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

A copy of the font or a link to download it would help.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
lorie

Post by lorie »

Here is a link to the font:

http://www.dafont.com/retro-rock-poster.font

As I mentioned, I had downloaded it several months ago and had no problem until recently.

Thanks for any input on what might have happened...

lj
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I don't know why anyone would want this font. I find it hard to believe it was actually designed to look like that. It is just some poor quality scans converted to a font.

The font slows to a crawl in FontCreator too, just on trying to open it in the Font Test window. Each glyph consists of hundreds of contours.

I would just delete the font, and that is the end of the problem.
Attachments
f-glyph.png
f-glyph.png (18.03 KiB) Viewed 8106 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

I used your link and had no problem with that font in MainType or FontCreator. Win XP. You could check to see if it is mysteriously installed and uninstall it.

I understand the Windows 7 versions are tenuous and do change.

a. Did it happen in prior versions of Win7? Can you upgrade to a more current version?
b. Does it happen on any other fonts?
c. Here's a great free one and is large enough for a good test.

A couple of links:

http://cg.scs.carleton.ca/~luc/bobistheowl.html for the words and

http://cg.scs.carleton.ca/~luc/AliceinWonderland.zip for the font. (~1mb zipped, ~2mb .ttf)
Along with some of those CJK 20mb jumbos, Alice In Wonderland is definitely "hefty".

Dick Pape
ps I'm more forgiving than Bhikkhu Pesala and am used to long waits for unusual results! It's not really a font, it's art!!
Ned Ludd

Post by Ned Ludd »

Over 3 years too late but I've just joined the forum so I'm having a wander around. :D

I'll agree with Bhikkhu Pesala; it really is a hideous 'font'.
The trouble with type treatments like that is that although they are supposed to look like a degraded or DIY screenprint or photocopy as soon as you notice that repeated characters have identical 'grunginess' then the effect is immediately lost.
Surely it would be better to actually do the legwork and repeatedly photocopy a printed typeface, and then scan it back into the computer, to achieve the desired effect.

Sorry, but the faux-distressed look is a pet peeve of mine whether on type, clothing or furniture.
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

Not sure how it's done but often the stressing is done post-production, Illustrator or something, so the results appear random.