Font ID help please

Are you looking for the name of a font or a character? Do upload an image or picture that helps us identify it.
Steadyhands

Font ID help please

Post by Steadyhands »

I'm trying to find a proper ttf version of this font. I know it only as IPROMAN. It started out in a CAD system called GDS in the 90's. My guess is the name has been shortened at some stage. When our company moved to a new CAD platform (MicroStation) this font was converted into a MicroStation font (by others). I'd like to try to find the original font or very similar. In the CAD system at the moment we are only using the numerals as they provide a very good contrast to the standard ISO CAD font. I've seen a few that are close, but the 7 us often different to this one.

Interesting side note, a neat feature of the latest versions of MicroStation are able to create True Type fonts on the fly from their old resource file type fonts. These get saved in a particular folder and can be opened / edited in FCP etc. Compared to a "Designed" Font they are poorly created, consisting of hundreds of contours. I've played with combining these but I'd still be left with glyphs containing far too many points. Hence the reason for looking for the original as a TTF. The converted version seem a little resource hungry also as they take a fair bit longer to preview in Windows. Mind you, Bentley state they are not for use out side of MicroStation.

Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Font ID help please

Post by Dick Pape »

So I copied your image and went to MyFonts - WhatTheFont and submitted it.
Your WhatTheFont results:

There are 5 matches for the image you uploaded.

* URW Antiqua Regular Italic from URW++ URW Antiqua
* De Vinne Text Italic from Bitstream De Vinne
* Century Std-Book Italic from Adobe ITC Century
* ITC Century Book Italic from Linotype ITC Century
* ITC Century Book Italic from Monotype Imaging ITC Century
They're close but not exact of course. I found a mostly exact font with perhaps only one problem - eroded.
Attic Antique Italic.jpg
Attic Antique Italic.jpg (51.46 KiB) Viewed 13748 times
Steadyhands

Post by Steadyhands »

Thanks Dick, it looks like De Vinne is a perfect match.
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

Glad it works for you!

They all seemed to be close but there were a couple of differences on De Vinne such as the length of the serifs on the b and d, the widths of some lc letters (a, h, n), the slant of the o, the length of the arms on the S and T... Some of that could come from printing/display issues of course.

They are much closer than the one I had!
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Post by Dave Crosby »

Is Panose of any help in searches like this?
Aut nunc aut nunquam
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

Panose could be useful to narrow the population to (roman) text, normal weights, oblique. PANOSE doesn't get into shapes of individual letters which differentiates these guys from each other. And of course nothing on numbers.