Clipped Glyphs

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
cal

Clipped Glyphs

Post by cal »

I have a font with glyphs that very considerably in width (half the characters have an advance of 1500 and half have an advance of 3000). The advance is set wider than the character glyphs and the left side bearing is positive, but clipping occurs on the wide characters when they are rastered.

I've deleted hdmx and ltsh tables and removed hinting to test - none of these fixed the problem.

The righthand edge of every wide character (at approx 2340) is being clipped, in both the font preview and when i export the font and use an external application. any ideas?

thanks in advance ;)
Jowaco

Post by Jowaco »

Does this picture help at all?
Is the whole of each wayward glyph contained within the bearing margin (dotted) lines?

Erwin Denissen helped me with such a problem a long time ago.

LSB = Left Side Bearing
RSB = Right Side Bearing
AW = Advance Width

rsb = aw - (lsb + xmax - xmin)

Joe.
cal

Post by cal »

the whole glyph is well within the bearings

when i size everything down by 50% (and change units per em accordingly), the problem dissapears. i guess there must be some upper limit for glyph sizes in truetype?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Can you send a copy of your font directly to me? I'll see if I can identify your problem.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Thanks for sending the font to me.

The last line of this post also apply to your problem:
viewtopic.php?t=342

I've changed the position of all contours within the 'G' and it solved the clipping problem on my test machine. Let us know if this solved all clipping problems.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
cal

Post by cal »

that solved the problem, yes :)

so the LSB shouldn't be less than x=0 when it's large - it's not something i guess alot of people will run into, but in braille all the capital letters have an extra 3/4 character width of space preceeding them.

thanks for your help.