Naming field question.

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Jowaco

Naming field question.

Post by Jowaco »

:? I have made a pseudo-bold font from the bitmaps used for the original font by importing and eroding the glyphs.
I have followed the instructions in the help file in order to establish it as bold.
I have installed the font.
When I use Word 2000 and select the original font, the *bold* font is the one chosen for printing.
I presume (possibly wrongly) that I have made an error in one of the naming fields in Format -> Naming.
My question is:
Which of the naming fields is the one used by applications to select the implementation of the font to be used?

Joe.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I suspect that it might be none of them, but perhaps the flag in Fomat, Settings, Windows tab. Not by any means sure though.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

In Windows, the Font Family name is displayed in the font menu; the Font Subfamily name is presented as the Style name.

Windows uses both Font Design and your locale font subfamily name and full font name fields.

Here is some relevant part of the manual:
http://www.high-logic.com/manual/fonttype.html

You could also use the fifofo utility to examine your installed fonts:
viewtopic.php?t=177
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Jowaco

Post by Jowaco »

Thanks, both, for your guidance. I've something to work on now.
I appreciate your replies.

Joe.
Jowaco

Post by Jowaco »

:D Problem solved. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
The problem was that the original font was an old one made before the AutoNaming Wizard was available and the naming fields were put in by hand. The bold font was made fairly recently and the naming fields were put in using the AutoNaming Wizard.
The AutoNaming Wizard produces other field text entries from the font family name text.
The pictures show that some original field entries have spaces yet the recent font (bold) field entries have none; hence the problem.
Thanks.

Joe.