Changing Measurements to Milimetres or Inches?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
t3mp3st

Changing Measurements to Milimetres or Inches?

Post by t3mp3st »

Hello,

I'm trying to use FontCreator to resize a font. I need to change the height without proportionately affecting the width. The font is actually a barcode, and the POS company we're dealing with has given specific height measurements in inches and/or millimeters.

Is there a way to display the character height in either of these measurements within FontCreator? How would I go about enabling this if there is?

If not, does anyone have an alternative solution for my predicament? Disclaimer: I am absolutely new to font editing.

Thanks!
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Changing Measurements to Milimetres or Inches?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I think this is the easiest way to fix this:
  1. Print out a single character at 720 point
  2. Measure it
  3. Calculate the proportion by which it needs to be resized. Presumably you have been given a target size for 12 point text or 24 point text.
  4. Use the Transform Wizard in Font Creator to scale the glyphs vertically by the desired amount.
FontCreator only uses "funits" which is similar to pixels in image programs. Measurements in inches, cms, or points wouldn't mean anything as the scaling depends on the fonts metrics, which can change during the design process.

See my posts in the FAQ Sticky thread for some illustrations and terms used in font design.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486