A font for some experiments in computing

A central location highlighting fonts created with FontCreator and/or Scanahand. Post information about your fonts here.
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: A font for some experiments in computing

Post by William »

I have made some progress.

Here is a link to what I have produced thus far in drafting a formal proposal for encoding.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/p ... ft_002.pdf

William Overington

11 January 2010
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

I have made some more progress in drafting a formal proposal for encoding in Unicode.

http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicod ... /0056.html

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/p ... ft_003.pdf

William Overington

29 May 2010
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Readers interested in my progress with this research might like to know of the following web page.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/research.htm

I have now started to try to make a font of authoring-time glyphs for the commands in the paper_draft_005.pdf document, mapping them into plane 15, using the substitution of F for the X used in the document and A for the Y used in the document.

This means that the glyphs need to be placed within U+FA000 to U+FA10A and U+FA200 to U+FA20F.

I have started with a copy of my Quest text font, version 2.211.

I am referring to the thread High Plane Unicode Mapping as I proceed.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2527

Designing the font is interesting as I am trying to have clear glyphs that are each indicative of a command of the portable interpretable object code without displaying the whole expression. For example, using w{ within a rounded square for the glyph for the while command and maybe }w within a rounded square for the glyph for the endwhile; command. Maybe just a d on its own within a rounded square for the glyph for the do command. The glyphs for the repeat loop commands and the glyphs for the if statement commands could be designed in a similar manner. There is an interesting design problem regarding the glyphs for the elsif and else commands. For example, maybe an e on its own for the glyph for the else command and maybe ei for the glyph for the elsif command.

William Overington

10 June 2010
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

I have now reached a stage in the development of a font containing authoring-time glyphs for the commands in the paper_draft_005.pdf document that I feel the development stage font is suitable for publication.

The present stage of development of the font includes glyphs for 75 of the commands in the paper_draft_005.pdf document.

They cover the commands for the general program structure, (though not for the commands for defining and using functions or interrupts) together with all of the commands that use only integers, including putpixel and pause.

The 75 characters and some spaces are in the following Unicode Text Document produced from WordPad.
codepoints_007.txt
Seventy-five codepoints for plane 15 completed glyphs included in the Quest PIOC 007 font
(414 Bytes) Downloaded 683 times
Opening the file in WordPad and then formatting with the Quest PIOC 007 font at 24 point produces a good display on this PC.

The glyphs for the commands are mapped from U+FA000 Alt 1024000 upward.

The ranges implemented in the font at this stage are U+FA000 Alt 1024000 to U+FA02E Alt 1024046, U+FA030 Alt 1024048 to U+FA03F Alt 1024063, U+FA0FF Alt 1024255 to U+FA10A Alt 1024266. The font includes glyphs showing just the border for all of the other characters used in the portable interpretable object code and for the presently unused codes within the U+FA000 to U+FA0FF range.
QPIOC007.TTF
Quest PIOC 007 font
(157.96 KiB) Downloaded 689 times
Please note that the font is 158 kilobytes in size. This is because it contains all of the glyphs from the Quest text font as well as the additional authoring-time glyphs for the portable interpretable object code.

If producing experimental software using the authoring-time glyphs using WordPad, one saves from WordPad to a Unicode Text Document.

William Overington

11 June 2010
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

I have now produced a font with authoring-time glyphs for all of the 249 characters specified as in the U+XYnnn series in the paper_draft_005.pdf document, with F used instead of X and A used instead of Y. This means that the font has glyphs in the U+FAnnn series. I have not included the codepoints from the section of the paper_draft_005.pdf document that is typeset in a handwritten font.

Here is a Unicode Text Document exported from WordPad that includes all 249 characters.
codepoints_009.txt
Two hundred and forty-nine codepoints for plane 15 completed glyphs included in the Quest PIOC 009 font
(1.31 KiB) Downloaded 949 times
Here is the font.
QPIOC009.TTF
Quest PIOC 009 font
(181.34 KiB) Downloaded 915 times
If producing experimental software using the authoring-time glyphs using WordPad, one saves from WordPad to a Unicode Text Document.

When authoring software using the Quest PIOC 009 font, I use a WordPad .rtf file in the first instance and, once that is saved, I save as a Unicode Text Document as well.

I use the Quest PIOC 009 font at 24 point, though readers may use it at a size of their own choice as the size used when producing a .rtf file does not affect the coding in the Unicode Text Document file.

William Overington

14 June 2010