How Do You Upload Customized Fonts into a KeyBoard Layout.

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
ulaping

How Do You Upload Customized Fonts into a KeyBoard Layout.

Post by ulaping »

I know this is a High Logic font forum, but this is the closest thing to a discussion board when it comes to Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator. Anyways, I've been having some difficulty trying to upload my customized fonts (that I created in High Logic Font Creator) into Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator. And by difficult, I mean I have no idea how to do it. Can you show me the step-by-step process on how to upload customized fonts into the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: How Do You Upload Customized Fonts into a KeyBoard Layou

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

ulaping wrote:Can you show me the step-by-step process on how to upload customized fonts into the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator?
You cannot upload fonts to a keyboard layout creator. Read my previous replies and the linked threads about mapping fonts and creating custom keyboards.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
ulaping

Post by ulaping »

If you can't upload customized fonts into Microsoft Key Board Layout Creator, then how come I'm able to load other fonts, like the Devanagari or Tamil script with perfect ease. All I have to do is go to File, click on Load Existing Keyboard and choose from a variety of different fonts (or scripts) to upload into the Keyboard Layout. I don't understand why you can't do the same for a customized font.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You load keyboards into MSKLC, not fonts. A UK or US keyboard types 1, 2, 3 (code-points 49,50,51), a Tamil Keyboard types ௧ ௨ ௩ (code-points 3047, 3048, 3049).
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
ulaping

Post by ulaping »

So how do you take the fonts that I created in FontCreator and convert them into keyboards so I can upload them into MSKLC and assign my characters to different keys. This is what I've been trying to do all along. I want to be able to assign certain characters to the other modifier keys such as ctrl and alt. Since you can't do that in FontCreator, MSKLC is my last hope of doing this.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

If you're creating a Devanagari font, I suspect the easiest way is to map your characters in FontCreator to match the existing Windows Devanagari keyboard.

Which version of FontCreator are you using? The Pro version has features that the Home version does not, so the solutions depend on the version that you have.

Can you attach your font here?
ulaping

Post by ulaping »

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the concept of mapping characters. I've tried looking it up on the the help section, but I'm unable to understand what they're talking about. Can you please explain me the process of mapping characters (in simple terms) so I can better understand what I have to do.

By the way, I also successfully installed my customized fonts from FontCreator. I was able to type them in paint and Microsoft Word, but for some reason I can't type them anywhere else. They don't give me the option menu to switch fonts so I can only type in the default latin text. This is what I tried to do in Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator. I tried typing my customized fonts into the blank keys, but I was unable to even when I tried copying and pasting the fonts into the blank keys -- all I get is the standard Latin text.
ulaping

Post by ulaping »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:If you're creating a Devanagari font, I suspect the easiest way is to map your characters in FontCreator to match the existing Windows Devanagari keyboard.

Which version of FontCreator are you using? The Pro version has features that the Home version does not, so the solutions depend on the version that you have.

Can you attach your font here?
I'm using the Font Creator Home Edition. I want to know how you can convert the fonts I created in Font Creator into a Keyboard format so I can upload them into Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator.