Typing text figures?

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
vivamus3

Typing text figures?

Post by vivamus3 »

Hello everyone,

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I have read that apparently all of the Adobe "Pro" fonts have the capability to type numerals as both lining figures and text figures. However, I haven't been able to figure out how to type them as text figures. If anyone could tell me how this can be achieved, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

P.S: The "Pro" fonts that I have are Caslon, Garamond, and Minion.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Typing text figures?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

These fonts contain OpenType features for OldStyle figures (text figures). You need to use an application that support OpenType features like Word 2010, InDesign, or PagePlus X5. Most applications don't support OpenType features.

See this earlier discussion. and this tutorial on Adding OpenType Features to existing TrueType fonts.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
vivamus3

Post by vivamus3 »

Okay, thank you.
Rayden

Post by Rayden »

So, Word 2007 doesn't support it??
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Rayden wrote:So, Word 2007 doesn't support it??
You need to upgrade to Word 2010 to get OpenType support.

PagePlus X5 also supports OpenType Features, and is currently available at a discount, which is usually an indication that a new version is not many months away.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486