Sonnet Calligraphic

A central location highlighting fonts created with FontCreator and/or Scanahand. Post information about your fonts here.
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Sonnet Calligraphic

Post by William »

Some readers might like this link to a thread of this forum that has within it a link to an experiment that I tried using the Sonnet Calligraphic 029 font. I have still not found the answer to the problem, so links to the web pages mentioned in that post have not been included directly in this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3132

William Overington

29 June 2010
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Yesterday I was doing some writing about food and produced some text for a forum using Microsoft WordPad.

Later, after I had written the text and produced a title, I decided to try to make a pdf version.

During that process I decided to put the title in the Sonnet Calligraphic font and to try to use some swash glyphs.

Thus the attached pdf is not an example devised to display some particular glyph or glyphs of the font, it is a document starting from the text and then using the font with the text that is there.

The body text is set in a font that I produced some time ago using Scanahand, during the original beta test, and modified slightly using FontCreator. The modifications are small, I produced individual glyphs for some ligatures by extracting them from the signature glyph where I had drawn their artwork. The Gallery Plus version, used here, has the lowercase h moved vertically as I had drawn it too low and it stood out. I use the font as my personal font in situations where I wish to combine the functionality of a serifed book typeface with the personal look of a handwritten typeface.

Thus the document displays text that I have written myself using fonts that I have designed myself with those two aspects independent of each other.
oven_chips_pasta_and_rice.pdf
The Sonnet Calligraphic 029 font used to display the title for a food recipe article
(14.66 KiB) Downloaded 644 times

William Overington

20 October 2010
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Here are two typecase_ pdfs.
typecase_Sonnet_Calligraphic_029_calligraphic_alternates.pdf
Sonnet Calligraphic 029 calligraphic alternates
(11.6 KiB) Downloaded 599 times
typecase_Sonnet_Calligraphic_029_calligraphic_ligatures.pdf
Sonnet Calligraphic 029 calligraphic ligatures
(8.74 KiB) Downloaded 608 times
William Overington

18 June 2011
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

I have been experimenting with trying to design some alternate, end of phrase, calligraphic glyphs for the lowercase e character.

I decided to add the designs into a Sonnet Calligraphic 030 font as I experimented.

In the event I produced seven designs, each provided in two glyphs, one with an advance width the same as an ordinary e and one with an advance width to align with the rightmost side of the glyph.

They are located in the plane 0 Private Use Area from U+E63C Alt 58940 to U+E649 Alt 58953.

Here is the font.
SONNC030.TTF
Sonnet Calligraphic 030 font
(37.31 KiB) Downloaded 593 times

William Overington

22 June 2011
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

William wrote:I have been experimenting with trying to design some alternate, end of phrase, calligraphic glyphs for the lowercase e character.

I decided to add the designs into a Sonnet Calligraphic 030 font as I experimented.

In the event I produced seven designs, each provided in two glyphs, one with an advance width the same as an ordinary e and one with an advance width to align with the rightmost side of the glyph.

Here is the Sonnet Calligraphic 031 font.
SONNC031.TTF
Sonnet Calligraphic 031 font
(40.22 KiB) Downloaded 576 times

The font has sixteen new glyphs.

They are é versions of each of the fourteen glyphs added to the Sonnet Calligraphic 030 font and é versions of the two original non-calligraphic alternate glyphs for e.

The mappings are as follows.

U+E650 Alt 58960 through to U+E65D Alt 58733 for the é versions of each of the fourteen glyphs added to the Sonnet Calligraphic 030 font.

U+E63A Alt 58938 and U+E63B Alt 58939 for the é versions of the two original non-calligraphic alternate glyphs for e.

The two original non-calligraphic alternate glyphs for e are located at U+E5CA Alt 58826 and U+E5CB Alt 58827.

Here is a design produced using the Serif PagePlus X3 program using the Sonnet Calligraphic 031 font.

The design was produced using two text frames that were overlapped and that were then grouped and the grouped object exported as a png graphic.
oregano.png
oregano.png (12.72 KiB) Viewed 16237 times

William Overington

25 June 2011
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

The Sonnet Calligraphic 032 font adds two new glyphs. These glyphs were added as an experiment so as to determine whether the desired results were possible.

At U+E6A0 Alt 59040 is another alternate glyph for the lowercase g. Starting with a copy of the glyph at U+E5C1 Alt 58817, which is the glyph used in the Café Oregano graphic in the previous post in this thread, the tail of the g goes round and up and over. The loop was designed so that it would go round a space and the letters O, r and e, so that it could be used in a Café Oregano graphic.

At U+E6A1 Alt 59041 is another alternate glyph for the lowercase g. Starting with a copy of the glyph at U+E6A0 Alt 59040, the tail of the g goes round and up and over and then down and under. The loop was designed so that it would go round a space and the letters O, r and e; and so that it would go round the letters a, n and o and a space so that it could be used in a Café Oregano graphic.

When first testing the font I used WordPad with the text at 72 point, using the Alt codes to enter the alternate characters. Later, I found that using the font in WordPad at 144 point using colour produces stylish displays that can be saved onto the clipboard using Print Screen and then pasted from the clipboard into the Paint program, from where a graphic can be produced.

Here are two graphics made using the font, using the Serif PagePlus X3 application program. They are adapted from the design used for the Café Oregano graphic in the previous post in this thread. I found that when producing the oregano_59040 design that I needed to move the text frame containing the word Oregano vertically downwards. The design for the oregano_59041 design is produced from a copy of the oregano_59040 design without any adjustment of the relative position of the text frames.
SONNC032.TTF
Sonnet Calligraphic 032 font
(40.57 KiB) Downloaded 581 times
The images may at first appear with a scroll bar down the right side. Clicking on the image may cause the scroll bar to disappear and the whole image become displayed.
oregano_59040.png
oregano_59040.png (14.38 KiB) Viewed 16195 times
oregano_59041.png
oregano_59041.png (15.58 KiB) Viewed 16195 times

William Overington

12 July 2011
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

The Sonnet Calligraphic 033 font adds three new glyphs. These glyphs were added to find out what resulted from making a copy of the U+E6A0 Alt 59040 glyph, deleting the curved tip of the tail of the g and replacing it with a copy of a calligraphic flourish copied from one of the recently added alternate ending letters e.
SONNC033.TTF
Sonnet Calligraphic 033 font
(41.19 KiB) Downloaded 574 times

Here is a transcript of the notes that I made as I produced the three glyphs.

Start of transcript

Wednesday 13 July 2011

7:47 am

Open SONNC032.TTF.

Save as SONNC033.TTF.

Use Tools AutoNaming... so as to adjust the name and date.

Add a glyph at U+E6A2 Alt 59042.

Copy the glyph from U+E6A0.

Add a copy of the calligraphic flourish from U+E63C.

Add a glyph at U+E6A3 Alt 59043.

Add a copy of the calligraphic flourish from U+E63E.

Add a glyph at U+E6A4 Alt 59044.

Add a copy of the calligraphic flourish from U+E640.

Validate.

Test.

08:36 am

End of transcript

William Overington

14 July 2011
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

The Sonnet Calligraphic 034 font adds three new glyphs.
SONNC034.TTF
Sonnet Calligraphic 034 font
(41.85 KiB) Downloaded 616 times

The new glyphs are located at U+E6A5 Alt 59045, U+E6A6 Alt 59046 and U+E6A7 Alt 59047.

Each of the new glyphs is a calligraphic alternate of lowercase p.

William Overington

21 July 2011
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Here is the Sonnet Calligraphic 035 font.
SONNC035.TTF
Sonnet Calligraphic 035 font
(42.29 KiB) Downloaded 565 times

This font adds four glyphs, each for a calligraphic lowercase f.

Here is a transcript of the notes that I made as I produced the font.

----

Saturday 23 July 2011

9:34 am

Open SONNC034.TTF.

Save as SONNC035.TTF.

Add a cell at U+E6A8 Alt 59048

Copy the glyph in U+E5C3 into U+E6A8.
The idea is to try to produce a calligraphic f that can be used twice in the word freefrom without an overlap.
The starting design has the right side of the glyph at 1536 font units.
A first thought was to try to make a design that has a right side of the glyph at 1024 font units; yet it could go a little more to the right without an overlap, if so desired, maybe as much as another 192 font units.
Testing, by copying the glyph, pasting on top and moving right by 1024 font units and magnifying shows that there is no overlap, but not by much, so keep this version yet try to make another version so that there is a gap. Try moving 64 font units back.
Add a cell at U+E6A9 Alt 59049 for that version.

Please note that the tail of the f is unaltered in either glyph.
Add a cell at U+E6AA Alt 59050 for a version moved back by another 128 font units.

Add a cell at U+E6AB Alt 59051 for a version moved forward by 64 font units to add another glyph with a glyph width between the previous two.

For convenience, U+E5C3 Alt 58819 is included here.

10:26 am

----

Here is a graphic, made using Serif PagePlus X3, with the word freefrom four times. Clicking on the graphic may remove the scrollbar and display the image in full.
sonnc035_freefrom.png
sonnc035_freefrom.png (15.69 KiB) Viewed 16120 times

Each setting of the word freefrom uses two copies of the same calligraphic glyph.
Upper left has U+E6A8, upper right has U+E6A9, lower left has U+E6AA and lower right has U+E6AB.

I note that, in the Sonnet Calligraphic font, the word from is wider than the word free: each of the letters r, e and o has the same advance width, the letter m has a larger advance width. So in setting the word freefrom a choice needs to be made as to whether to use the same calligraphic glyph for each letter f or whether to use a wider calligraphic glyph for the second letter f.

Here is a graphic using U+E6AB and U+E6A9 together.
sonnc035_freefrom_e6ab_e6a9.png
sonnc035_freefrom_e6ab_e6a9.png (5.91 KiB) Viewed 16120 times

William Overington

25 July 2011
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

In the thread entitled Pantone Colour of the Year for 2012 and fonts, there is a graphic displaying two new Sonnet Calligraphic glyphs, namely a calligraphic o glyph and an additional calligraphic g glyph.

viewtopic.php?p=16163#p16163

Here is the font that contains the two new glyphs.
SONNC037.TTF
Sonnet Calligraphic 037 font
(43.04 KiB) Downloaded 589 times
Here is an extract from the transcript.

----

Add a glyph at U+E6AC Alt 59052.
Copy the glyph of U+E642.
Move 224 font units upward and change to become a calligraphic o, copying the contours of an o.

Also, try a sweeping back g.

Add a glyph at U+E6AD Alt 59053.
Copy the glyph of U+E5C1

----

The font also contains four experimental free-standing calligraphic flourishes that I produced while experimenting on 18 August 2011.

Here is some transcript.

----

Thursday 18 August 2011

2:59 pm

Open SONNC035.TTF.

Save as SONNC036.TTF.

Try to add some flourishes starting at U+E6F0 Alt 59120.

Add a cell at U+E6F0 Alt 59120.
Try to add a stand-alone flourish based on the flourish of the lowercase pp at U+E5DB.

Add a cell at U+E6F1 Alt 59121.
Try to add a stand-alone flourish based on the flourish of the lowercase pp at U+E5DC.

Add a cell at U+E6F2 Alt 59122.
Try to add a flourish based on that in U+E6F0 by replacing the leftmost 1024 font units with a double mirrored copy of the rightmost 512 font units, positioned so as to join together.

That does not seem to look good aesthetically, so add a cell at U+E6F2 Alt 59123.
Try to add a flourish based on that in U+E6F2 by replacing the centre decoration with a horizontal straight line.

3:43 pm

----

Viewed some months later, the flourish at U+E6F2 Alt 59122 seems much better than I thought at the time that I produced it.

William Overington

23 December 2011
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Some readers may remember that I have used the Sonnet Calligraphic font in a title when producing a pdf of some text that I had written about food.

viewtopic.php?p=13799#p13799

Last Saturday I was thinking about writing some text about using garlic granules in a vegetable casserole, and, thinking that I might try to produce a pdf of the text, I wondered if, following on from the success of making the calligraphic end of word o for the tangerine tango mini-project, whether I could make a calligraphic end of word s for use in the phrase garlic granules in the title of the text that I was thinking about writing.

While fontmaking I added two other glyphs at the same time, both of which are used in the finished example.

Here is some transcript.

----

Saturday 7 January 2012

16:34

Open SONNC037.TTF.

Save as SONNC038.TTF.

Also, update the copyright notices to 2012.

As the calligraphic end of phrase o was successful, try to produce a calligraphic end of phrase s to use in garlic granules

Add a glyph at U+E6AE Alt 59054.
Copy the glyph of U+E6AC.

Add a glyph at U+E6AF Alt 59055
Copy the glyph at U+E5E2, which is a lowercase l with a calligraphic swash.
Try to make a calligraphic b for use in vegetable casserole.
Try to make the calligraphic sweep slightly different from that of the lowercase l

Add a glyph at U+E6B0 Alt 59056
Copy the glyph at U+E5C4, which is a g with a long vertical.
Try to make a wider version that goes back under the previous character for use in the word vegetable.

Font saved at 17:35:06

----

Here is the text using calligraphic glyphs, using various Private Use Area characters to encode the calligraphic glyphs. If copied onto the clipboard and pasted into WordPad and then formatted using the Sonnet Calligraphic 038 font at 72 point, the result should be displayed.

Veetale casseroe with aric ranue

I am not a pen and ink calligrapher and I have no formal training in how to produce calligraphic designs, so what I write here is just my own experiences of what I have tried.
The text started as follows.

Vegetable casserole with garlic granules

I regarded that as follows.

(Vegetable casserole) with (garlic granules)

I regarded garlic granules as the part of the title that I wanted to emphasise, so I made that more calligraphic. I deliberately did not use calligraphic glyphs within the word with.

In typesetting garlic granules I used the same two calligraphic g glyphs as for tangerine tango, though in the other order. This was initially to avoid an overlap in the display, yet works well, as in tangerine tango, the word tango is emphasised whereas in garlic granules the word garlic is emphasised.

tanerine tan

In making the calligraphic b sweep slightly differently from that of the lowercase l, I was trying to avoid making the result appear too automated. I was trying to give the display a look more as if the title had been drawn directly by pen and ink with the natural slight variation that that may produce, that variation avoiding an effect of noticing that two sweeps are identical.

When I am fontmaking for the Sonnet Calligraphic font I use the Font Test... facility of FontCreator to build up the examples as I proceed.

I make the character in WordPad, within the transcript notes, using an Alt code. This appears as a black rectangle in WordPad as I am using the Arial font within WordPad. I then copy the character onto the clipboard and paste it into the test page of FontCreator. This means that I can try how glyphs display within words as I proceed.

Here is the font.
SONNC038.TTF
Sonnet Calligraphic 038 font
(43.42 KiB) Downloaded 620 times
William Overington

9 January 2012
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

During the winter, one day I was experimenting and I produced the following font.
SONNC039.TTF
Sonnet Calligraphic 039 font
(44.7 KiB) Downloaded 541 times
The font has six more mapped glyphs than the Sonnet Calligraphic 038 font.

The new mapped glyphs are located at U+E6B1 through to U+E6B6.

The Alt codes are Alt 59057 through to Alt 59062.

     

The first glyph is a swash end of phrase w, such as might be used in the word snow. The flourish is copied from the flourished lowercase o.

The next three glyphs are copies of that swash end of phrase w,, each with a stylised snowflake. The design was because I was thinking of using the glyph in white upon a dark blue background.

The other two glyphs are letters t, each with a flourish spiral, such as could be used in the word starry. They are different so that two letters t each with a flourish spiral could be used together without each being of exactly the same design.

William Overington

27 March 2012
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

garlic_granules.png
garlic_granules.png (13.06 KiB) Viewed 15288 times

I produced the above graphic earlier today.

The graphic was produced using the Serif PagePlus X4 program. The text is in 72 point.

William Overington

29 March 2012
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

starry_night_with_snow.png
starry_night_with_snow.png (8.92 KiB) Viewed 15275 times

I produced the above graphic earlier today.

The graphic was produced using the Serif PagePlus X4 program. The text is in 72 point.

Having used the calligraphic t and the calligraphic w, I wondered what to do about the y and the g. I decided to use the basic y glyph of the font, yet I did not want to use just the basic g glyph of the font, though I did not want to distract the effect of the calligraphic spiral of the t in the word Starry by having too large a flourish on the tail of the g.

After a few tests, I decided to use one of the swash g glyphs that are in the Sonnet Calligraphic font as a result of being in the Sonnet to a Renaissance Lady font upon which the Sonnet Calligraphic font is based.

William Overington

30 March 2012
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

On Monady evening I was experimenting and I produced a new version of the Sonnet Calligraphic font, namely the Sonnet Calligraphic 040 font. The new version of the font has two more mapped glyphs than does the Sonnet Calligraphic 039 font.
SONNC040.TTF
Sonnet Calligraphic 040 font
(45.25 KiB) Downloaded 522 times
Earlier today, I produced the following two graphics using the font. I used Serif PagePlus X4 to produce the graphics.
no_gluten-containing_ingredients_001.png
no_gluten-containing_ingredients_001.png (8.23 KiB) Viewed 15221 times
no_gluten-containing_ingredients_002.png
no_gluten-containing_ingredients_002.png (8.69 KiB) Viewed 15221 times
Here is a copy of the notes that I made as I produced the font.

----

Monday 2 April 2012

7:51 pm

Open SONNC039.TTF.

Save as SONNC040.TTF

Try to make a calligraphic s that has a backward flourish so as to be used in the word ingredients in the phrase
no gluten-containing ingredients

Add a glyph at U+E6B7 Alt 59063

Start with a copy of the ordinary s glyph and try to adapt a copy of the flourish from the U+E6A2 glyph, including mirroring it horizontally.

Try to keep the end of the flourish in a grid box.

Please consider the word ingredients.

Each letter i counts as one half width of a grid square, so the flourish back is over the ingredient part, without the s counted.
This is a total of nine grid squares, if going back all the way to the start of the word, yet maybe only go back seven or eight grid squares.

The lower level of the flourish needs to be somewhere between 384 vertical and 448 vertical.

Half way is 416, so try 416.

I feel that the calligraphic flourish needs to leave the top of the letter s vertically and then curve, so adapt the design..

----

Try to make another calligraphic s that has a backward flourish so as to be used in the word ingredients in the phrase
no gluten-containing ingredients

Add a glyph at U+E6B8 Alt 59064

Start with a copy of the ordinary s glyph and try to adapt a copy of the flourish from the U+E6A4 glyph, including mirroring it horizontally. Try to keep the end of the flourish on a grid intersection point.

-----

William Overington

4 April 2012