Newbie question about font modification

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
api

Newbie question about font modification

Post by api »

Hi, I'd need some advice please: I have a bunch of fonts made out of individual dots. (e.g.: ozone font)
Is there any quick and simple way of decreasing the diameter of the dots to 10% from 100%? So the position of the dots sould be the same but the diameter would be 10% of the original.

Thanks,

Api
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Newbie question about font modification

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

This is not practical for hundreds of dots, but for a dozen or so in each glyph it might feasible:
  1. Open the glyph edit window
  2. Show the Transform Toolbar
  3. Select the scale tab
  4. Lock the aspect ratio
  5. Select one of the dots
  6. Set the scale to 10%
  7. Click "Apply"
  8. Select the next dot
  9. Click "Apply"
  10. Repeat ad nauseum
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
vanisaac

Post by vanisaac »

Does this constitute a request for the feature "scale each contour independently"?
api

Post by api »

Thanks for the quick answer.

1.) Yes, there are thousands of dots in each font file so the dot-by-dot scaling would be way too labor intensive.
2.) Yes, I have to scale every single dots to 10% without moving them. In Adobe Illustrator there is a command "Scale each" (?) which does that, but I don't know how could I do this with a font file.

I wouldn't mind purchasing the Font Creator but I don't have time, patience (and knowledge) to scale all the dots in about 40-50 font files. If there would be a batch process, or a "copy out - scale down - copy back" type of action that would help a lot. (I am afraid there is none.)
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

If Adobe Illustrator can do it, then install the font, format a full alphabet with the font in Illustrator, convert to curves, do the scaling, then copy/paste each letter to FontCreator, or export each letter or a group of letters as a PDF file and import those.

If you do the first part for abc ABC, then attach a PDF of the scaled font, I will see how well it imports into FontCreator.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
api

Post by api »

Yes, Illustrator can do it. The correct name is "transform each".
I will try your copy/paste suggestion; it looks like a good solution for my problem.

Thank you VERY VERY much.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

vanisaac wrote:Does this constitute a request for the feature "scale each contour independently"?
No, but this does :)