Composite characters with a single macron above

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
asar

Composite characters with a single macron above

Post by asar »

Morning everybody
I just read some topics posted by Ulaping about: "inserting diacritics". I hope he has figured out that problem.
Now, my dear friends out there, how could I make a long macron, i.e. a macron that covers for two combining characters? I have managed to figure out the problem by mapping the new characters in Private Use Area (as in the attachment: E...). However this way make the characters totally new and they could not be read by Times New Roman (TNR) and I would like to see those new characters also could be read by TNR. Another problem is that the combining letters with macron just could be typed in two specific glyphs as: "Ng and ng (both with macron)"; it could not be in NG (with macron). I am thinking if I can assign a long macron at specific key of my keyboard layout (I use MKLC), then both problems should be solved easily. By the way, is it possible for me to change the long macron to long underscore, i.e. instead using the macron, I use an underscore that will be placed under the two characters?
Thank you in advance and God rewards you, amēn.
Attachments
Composite characters with a single macron above.docx
(130.46 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
Asar Abd KarimTogether we make this temporary world a better place to live
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Composite characters with a single macron above

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

There's already a Unicode code-point assigned for Double Combining Macron Below, so use that.

Just so that everyone knows which topic your referring to:

Thread by ulaping

and Your Earlier Thread

Docx is not the most convenient format for screen shots. Please attach a PNG image like this.
Picture.png
Picture.png (81.51 KiB) Viewed 3439 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486