Scaling a glyph while maintaining stroke width

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
jamadagni

Scaling a glyph while maintaining stroke width

Post by jamadagni »

Hello. While hacking on some existing open-source fonts, I've been required to resize some glyphs which were off-size for ths style. But if I scale them then the stroke width also increases which is unacceptable. Manual adjustment of the nodes is not an option in complex Indic glyphs. So I was wondering whether I could use some combination of Scale + Thin to get the desired effect?

IIUC the input values for horiz and vert for thin are the number of funits by which the strokes should be thinned. So I am thinking that it would work if the existing stroke width is uniform, and I should determine that width (x), and ask the Glyph Transformer to thin the glyph by the value (x*scale)-x on both horiz and vert factors.

Is this the right way to do this or is there a better way?

Thanks.
Shriramana Sharma
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Scaling a glyph while maintaining stroke width

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

That's the way to do it — I don't think there's any easier way.

Experiment with some simple glyphs to check your transform values.

Copy the glyph to the clipboard, and paste it back after performing the transform, then undo the paste while you're testing the transformation because there is no undo for transformations.

When you have figured out the desired combination of scale and thin, select all of the glyphs in the overview that you want to transform, and apply the same transform to them all at once.

This Tutorial may help.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
jamadagni

Re: Scaling a glyph while maintaining stroke width

Post by jamadagni »

Thanks Bhikkhu. I found out that it is not straightforward that the thinning factor should be x*(scale-1). As you said we have to experiment and find out. And I have already seen your tutorial, thank you.
Shriramana Sharma